We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Hi,

We are planning a trip over from London and considering staying over the 25th/26th. Are most resturants and cafes/pubs etc.. closed during this time? We would have the hotel dining options but it is always nice to get out for a walk etc... so a boxing day brunch or hot chocolate would be most welcomed.

It would be for 2 adults and a toddler of nearly 3 so nothing fancy, I would be happy with pancakes for my Christmas lunch if they open!

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
324 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

You'll have more than enough options on both days. On Christmas day, some stores / café's might be closed, but on Boxing Day (called 2nd Christmas Day in the NL), everything will be open.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

And as mentioned in previous threads: rhere is no Christmas day bar culture like in the UK so on the 25th you'll struggle to find any bars open.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Lionheart pubs in the UK don't really open Christmas day unless they are serving (pre-booked) christmas lunch/dinner. In Scotland you will be hard pressed to find pubs open at all in the 25th or maybe that is because I would not think of going to the pub on Christmas day. ;-)

Of course I have no experience of Christmas in England so I might be wrong about that. IN England they end to have Christmas Lunch and in Scotland more about Christmas dinner around 4pm or 5pm or it I get my timings wrong 7pm LOL

In Amsterdam you will find some Irish bars open serving a UK type turkey and trimmings. Restaurants will be open but you would need to prebook. Lots of Dutch people seem to go out for a meal on Christmas day but don't expect turkey to be on the menu in those places.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 14:55
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

My experience with Ron's Sunday roast is that it's ready around 22:30.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Now now Chuck :-)) That was one time. Let it go LOL!!!

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Was it still edible at that time?

(on a side note: in a dark distant past there used to be a Mrs Lion who was British... They actually did go clubbing or out into town or whatever on Christmas... And apparently it was quite a busy night apparently)

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Hij was superlekker, 'tuurlijk.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

No it was freshly cooked and absolutely delicious. They just had to wait a while for the mains. :-)

I think that clubbing at Christmas time has died out I would say. I used to go out Christmas eve when I were a lad in the UK but I was just talking to my 25 year old daughter about this the other day. She works in hospitality and used to work in a club and told me that Christmas was very quiet these days.

Even then Christmas Day in Scotland was dead.

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
285 posts
537 reviews
9. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

It is years since I spent Christmas in the UK, but my experience then was that everything was shut and there was no public transport at all available. Amsterdam I'm glad to say is rather different. This year I plan to spend Christmas in Amsterdam. Dinner in the Okura on the 24th and then I will go to the Muziektheater on Christmas day for a matinee and then probably go to L'Opera Grand Cafe for a drink and a meal afterwards. You couldn't do that in London.

But note that outside Amsterdam, must restaurants only seem to open for set meals reserved in advance on teh 25th.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day

>>But note that outside Amsterdam, must restaurants only seem to open for set meals reserved in advance on teh 25th.<<

That is basically what happens inside Amsterdam also though. Or at least they have a reduced special Christmas menu, no?

Reply to: Christmas Day and Boxing Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted