We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,759 posts
8 reviews
Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

Given the recent thread about all the scaffolding in Amsterdam, I thought it best to give fair warning that restoration works on the famous painting the Nightwatch will start in July 2019 and will take several years to complete.

The good news is that the work will be caried out in the Gallery of Honour, so the public can watch the restoration. The restoration will also be streamed on the website of the Rijksmuseum via a livestream.

All details here; https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/nightwatch

18 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

For folks having seen the Nightwatch before seeing the restoration might be more interesting than seeing it again.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
329 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

Great idea, restoring the Nightwatch in plain sight. Might indeed be more interesting for some than the painting itself.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,609 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

Didn't they have to cut a special hole in the floor to get it into the room in the first place? Probably no choice but to restore it in situ but interesting indeed for people to see the process.

They probably don't have room to restore it in the conservatory around the corner from the main building anyway. That thing is massive.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,759 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

“Didn't they have to cut a special hole in the floor to get it into the room in the first place? Probably no choice but to restore it in situ but interesting indeed for people to see the process.”

The hole is still there, but it’s covered. It was used to return the Nightwatch to the Gallery of Honour after the renovations of the Rijksmuseum itself. The hole is also there to be able to evacuate the painting in case of fire.

Chilworth, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

At least they didn't cut bits off it to make it fit, as they did in the 18th Century AND threw the bits in the garbage!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
6. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

will there be advertising on the back of the restoration workers shirts?

Europe
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
7. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

Just on the scaffolding. And it's going to take a while of course.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

I am a great admirer of his work, but I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed by the Night Watch. There are better Rembrandts in around the Eregalerie, but it does attract the visitors away from these and the peerless Vermeers. Maybe Rick Steves told his adoring fans that it is a 'must see' 😮

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

I paid $10,000 for my European vacation, not to have it ruined by cluttering up this beautiful painting by Van Gogh for some so-called "restoration".

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,792 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019

https:/…

NYT article on the process

Reply to: Restoration Nightwatch by Rembrandt starts July 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted