We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Amsterdam Trip Report

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
July Amsterdam Trip Report

My husband and I were in Amsterdam July 13 - 17 before heading off to Paris. It was our first trip to Amsterdam and we thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to go back. We were fortunate to have beautiful sunny and warm weather throughout our stay. Some of the locals said it was the warmest run of days they remembered in years. We loved the ambiance and beauty of the city, friendly people, great food, and an easy walking city. Didn't find the biker too terrible at all.

Here's a run down of our trip

Friday, July 13

Arrived at Hotel Krasnapolsky - you can see my review on their TA page. It's a great location and a very big hotel. We checked in easy. The room was spacious, clean, and nice but a crappy view. Overall nice hotel but would stay in an airbnb or smaller hotel next time. Didn't do their breakfast - too expensive - and lots of other choices for less all over.

Took a short nap then walked to the Van Gogh Museum where I booked a ticket for 6:15 PM Van Gogh Museum. What can I say...a must visit venue. Amazing and the museum area is gorgeous and great place to people watch.

Dinner: 8:30 Levant Weteringschans 93 - Turkish. Easy walk from museum. Good service and delicious food. We walked back to the hotel from here.

Saturday, July 14

Breakfast at Omelegge - really good and we made it before the lines.

Walked through Red Light area - eh - found it cheesy and not interesting for our taste.

We explored the Joordaan Area - loved that area!

2:30 Ann Frank House - Very moving. I was feeling teary even before entering.

5:00 PM Dam Boat Guys Tour - Convenient and good after our Ann Frank House visit. We picked up some snacks and two small bottles of Persecco at a small shop across from the meeting point (not the wine store). The tour was wonderful. Guide was engaging and fellow passengers were so lovely and friendly. This was one of my fav's of the trip!

Dinner: Casa di David Singel 426 - excellent food and service and a lovely view of the canal from the second floor window

Sunday, July 15

Breakfast at Betty Blue - good not amazing but good

Explored the area and then walked to Vondelpark

3:00 PM Rijksmuseum - very large and a bit confusing but found the room with Rembrants, Vermeer and enjoyed the modern wing and decorative arts and furniture

5:00 – 7:00 De Pijp - cool area but lots of places were closed. Lots of excitement in the bars as it was the day of the World Cup. We found a little cafe near the restaurant we were going to for dinner and hung out for a while with great gin tonics.

Dinner: 7:30 De Waaghles Frans Halstraadt 29 - ugh! This place was a major disappointment. Service sucked and the food was really gross. Can't believe it gets good reviews.

Monday, July 16

Walked to Winkle to have apple cake for breakfast but the line was ridiculously long so we found a wonderful small Italian cafe in the Jordaan and had a great breakfast! Can't recall the name but it was small and we sat upstairs where they had seating.

We then walked a bit through Jordaan to admire the shops then went to the

Jewish Museum/ Portugese Synagogue. Really wonderful.

In the late afternoon we did another canal cruise because we loved the experience of sailing through the canals and the weather was very warm so it was a good thing to do. Can't remember the company but it was a nice cruise - a little more posh than Damn Boat Guys but I preferred the DBGuys tour better. A must do for new visitors.

Dinner: 7:30 Saturnino Reguliersdwarsstraat 5 - We sat outside. Service was not stellar but the food was very good.

Next morning went to one of the cafe's across from our hotel for breakfast and then checked out of the hotel and cabbed it to the train station. Off to Paris to meet up with our daughter and her wife. Rented an Airbnb in the 9th. Paris forum for that report.

Got a lot of good advice from TA in planning our trips.

Gotta really stay close to the Ann Frank website to ensure you can make a reservation. I followed it exactly 2 months to the date of our visit.

Booked Rijksmuseum, Damn Boat Guys, and Van Gogh on line. Easy and had dinner reservations done all ahead of time, too.

5 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,931 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Amsterdam Trip Report

Thanks for sharing your trip and taking the time to write this. I enjoyed reading it

Edited: 19 August 2018, 21:10
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Amsterdam Trip Report

Great report. I'm glad you had fun. Too bad you didn't pickup that Monday would be a poor choice for the Winkel.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Amsterdam Trip Report

Thanks for sharing and good report! Glad you saw what you wanted at the Rijksmuseum in your time frame.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
459 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Amsterdam Trip Report

Hi, interesting trip to read about. I am heading for my 1st visit to Amsterdam in December and it's nice to read what others have found to do and places to eat:)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Amsterdam Trip Report

Sounds like a fun trip. I am planning a night canal cruise with Dam Boat Guys.

Hope you had fun in Paris✈️🌺🌺

Reply to: July Amsterdam Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted