We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Lanes

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Bike Lanes

Why, in God's green earth, do they allow motorized scooters in the bike lanes? I am an experienced cycler and could not believe this was the case. I saw a lot of near misses for many bikes vrs scooters. What a mistake. The scooter drivers are aggresive, arrogant and do not belong next to bikes. That is my only complaint about Amsterdam.

6 replies to this topic
Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Bike Lanes

There are various types of 'motorized scooters' - just like there are various types of bikes. With the emergence of electric bikes, things are becoming even more complicated.

Dutch law differentiates between 'snorfietsen' and 'bromfietsen'; A 'snorfiets' has a maximum speed of 25 km/h and can drive in the bike lane. On an ordinary city bike you can also easily reach a speed of 25 km/h,

A 'bromfiets' has a maximum speed of 45 km/h (and a combustion engine of max 50 cc or an electric motor of max. 4 kW) and should in most cases use the normal road (although there are also combined bike/bromfiets paths). The visible difference between a 'bromfiets' and a 'snorfiets' is the licence plate: yellow with black lettering for 'bromfiets', blue with white lettering for 'snorfiets'.

That's the theoretical background; in practice, some 'snorfietsen' are mechanically altered to make them faster than the speed they are allowed to drive; and sometimes, 'bromfietsen' use a licence plate for 'snorfietsen'. It's not a perfect world.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
2. Re: Bike Lanes

As of January 2019 motorized scooters will no longer be allowed on most bike lanes in Amsterdam. It wasn't such an issue in the past but the number of scooters has exploded in the last 10 years or so.

2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bike Lanes

Great news! I nearly got hit t a crossing by one!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,192 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Bike Lanes

The snorfiets have the same engines as the broomfiets but have regulators to stop them at 25kph. These are fairly easily removed for the little beggers to speed along the bike paths and there is a certain type of young man that tends to be the aggressive rider giving all the others the bad name.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Bike Lanes

What you perceive as near misses are probably every days happenings to the locals.

But soon they'll be banned... So that'll surely solve all biking problems and tourists can freely ride bikes around town again... </sarcasm>

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Bike Lanes

I don't think this issue is alllll about tourists. In fact it was the locals screaming at each other over near misses. Also if you were here in my touristy city you would get a hefty fine if you were a scooter dork in the bike lanes.

Reply to: Bike Lanes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted