We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

I found a killer airfare deal to Amsterdam, so we're using it as a jumping-off point before heading on to Germany the following day for a week, and then returning to Amsterdam for hopefully a couple of days before our return flight. We're going in early December for the Christmas markets.

We will be landing in Amsterdam at 8 am and I do not sleep on planes, so we'll need to check in early. We're thinking we should stay in the city center; we want to check out the Amsterdam Christmas market and hopefully the light show.

We'll have checked bags. How long should we expect it to take to get our bags, go through Customs, and get to a centrally located hotel from the airport? I haven't yet looked into public transportation vs a taxi; it'll depend on which hotel we choose. The airport seems to be closer to the city than Frankfurt and CDG, so I'm wondering how early a check-in to request. And if it's before 10 am, is there a particular hotel you'd recommend? Some are more willing than others!

Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
1. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

Depending on a few variables one to two hours max, let's just say about an hour and a half.

No Christmas market in Amsterdam.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,043 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

<we want to check out the Amsterdam Christmas market>

What Christmas Market?

<How long should we expect it to take to get our bags, go through Customs, and get to a centrally located hotel from the airport?>

From 1.5 - 2 hours.

<The airport seems to be closer to the city than Frankfurt>

I wouldn't say that.

Even if you don't sleep on the plane my best piece of advice would be to stay up until your normal bed time. Almost all hotels will let you drop bags until check in. Many will let you check in when you get there if they have vacancy without an extra charge. Go hit the city to get plenty of exercise and fresh air. Best way to get over jetlag.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

Huh. I read a couple things about some kind of market in Amsterdam. I guess we'll need to look at what else there is to do on a winter day.

Sometimes I'm able to stay up until a normal bedtime, and sometimes I'm not. It depends on how miserable the flight was!

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

What is the deal with all these posts from people who believe there is a Christmas Market in Amsterdam? Is there some travel blog or guide book out there that falsely claims there is one?

Luckily for the OP they are to Germany so they will still have the opportunity to visit an actual Christmas Market.

I agree with Ddavis; your jetlag will only get worse if you go to sleep as soon as you land in Amsterdam. Stay active, expose yourself to natural light as much as possible (so preferably no museum visit on your 1st day, take a canal cruise instead) and try to stay awake as long as possible.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,043 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

<What is the deal with all these posts from people who believe there is a Christmas Market in Amsterdam?>

I think most are just making assumptions.

OP - There is PLENTY to do in Amsterdam on a winter day. What do you normally like?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

No, I actually did a search. Two years ago we went to 5 Christmas markets in Germany and we love them, so I figured I'd see if there was one in Amsterdam. I found this for starters: https:/…amsterdam-christmas-markets

It wasn't clear about events in the city, so I dug around further and found info that indicated there was something that was similar to a market. I couldn't find anything specific, so I guess now I know why. ;-)

As far as other thins we like to do...we go to Europe once or twice a year, and we love exploring historic areas (we've been to quite a few castles and palaces in Germany and France), wineries, natural areas, and especially anything that's unique to the area (like salt mines in Hallstatt, Austria, which we went to last month). We like museums but I have a pain condition and standing in place for any length of time can flare me up, so we usually go for things that give us a mix of moving about and standing if we have to stand. We are both WWII buffs. We don't mind hitting popular tourist sites but also really like to get a feel for the history and culture of an area. We did a walking tour of Strasbourg that was fascinating.

For me, jet lag varies. Out of our last 8 trips to Europe, I only got through the first day without a nap twice. Since we'll be landing at 2 am EST, and I am usually awake until then, there's a very strong chance I'll need to sleep for a few hours. So I'm not overly worried about that. I have the necessary meds to make sure I get to sleep on Amsterdam time that night. :-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

There is no hotel in the world that keeps rooms left vacant from the night before just so they can offer early check in to folks who arrive early the next day.

You will get early check in if when you show up they have your room or a room available.

Last trip I was in my room before 7:30am.

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
8. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

MrJohnMd some hotels offer early check-in to loyalty members. Some offer early check-in for a fee. These include various ones in Europe but no idea if any offer this in Amsterdam sorry. It is always clearly indicated in the hotel's website.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

If you pay for early check in you might get early check in if it is offered. You can also pay for a room for the night before to make sure you have early check in.

When a member asks about early check in and has no particular hotel they are asking about using loyalty points at they are asking about free early check in.

And no hotel in Amsterdam keeps rooms free from the night before for folks that want to check in early.

They also don’t keep rooms open for early check in for those with loyalty points.

If traveling in the off season like I did last time your chances improve because it’s more likely they have rooms unused from the night before.

Check out is not until 11am. Then the rooms have to be cleaned. they give out rooms once they are cleaned and ready,

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
10. Re: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?

Au contraire, MrJohnMd...some hotels do exactly that. When we flew to Frankfurt for the first time one January, we got in at 7 am and picked the Concord hotel because they specifically allow for early check-in. We checked in at 8:30, no additional fee, went to our room, and went straight to bed for a few hours.

We have status with Marriott, so we will probably go with them since it's only one night (when in Europe, we try to stay with local hotels to get a real feel for the area, not an Americanized one). I don't mind paying an extra fee or even for the night before if it's not too expensive, but I want the option of having a place to sleep before a normal check-in time. I just wondered if there were any good Amsterdam hotels that are known for early check-ins, like the Concord is known for in Frankfurt. Seems the answer is likely no.

Reply to: Where to stay for one night in December w/early check-in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted