We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
Christmas Markets

Looking for some insight into the Christmas markets in Amsterdam Dec. 26-28, 2018. From the research I've done I can only find 1 open during the dates I will be there: Amsterdamse Winterparade. I also see there is an admission fee of 8.50 Euros. I have been to Europe in prior years around Christmas and have not have to pay to walk through the markets- I 100% understand Amsterdam could be different in terms of admission. Looking for insight from others: 1. Are there other Christmas markets open during that time? 2. Are there any free ones to walk through?

25 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,102 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Markets

Oh it must be Christmas market time again huh?

Amsterdam is not big on Christmas markets. This question gets asked hundreds of times each year and the answer so far is just the same. If you want German Christmas markets then go to Germany.

Amsterdamse Winterparade is not even on this year at the RAI. Obviously it was not that successful last year. Did you see it somewhere else or is that last years info?

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
2. Re: Christmas Markets

I'm so sorry for asking about Christmas markets if they aren't really in Amsterdam. I sincerely do apologize as I only asked as I read online the dates were Dec. 21, 2018- Jan. 1, 2019 at the RAI. Amsterdam is just one leg on our two week journey and I thought I would investigate if any annually took place here.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,102 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Markets

CAn I ask where you read that as the agenda for the RAI says they are putting on the CATS musical in Dutch this year.

https:/…12-2018

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Markets

Well it's always possible to daytrip it to the fabulous German Christmas markets from Amsterdam. Düsseldorf and Köln take around 2 to 2.5 hours to get to. Buy your ICE ticket now for the best prices.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
16,266 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Markets

The Christmas Markets in Dusseldorf are open till Dec 30 but in Cologne they close on Dec 23 and just the ice rink is open till end of the year.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 11:03
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi Emily,

This website shows a list of Christmas Market in the Netherlands.

https://www.kerstmarkten.net/nederland/…

I am not really sure how certain the schedules are.

I am afraid I cannot find anything about any christmas market in Amsterdam.

There is the Amsterdam Light Festival, though.

www.amsterdamtips.com/whats-on/december.php

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Christmas Markets

>I am afraid I cannot find anything about any christmas market in Amsterdam.

Gee, I wonder why?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
888 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Christmas Markets

Pala,

No need to be sarcastic to someone who is actually trying to answer the OP.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Christmas Markets

I wasn't being sarcastic to you.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
359 reviews
10. Re: Christmas Markets

There are Christmas Markets in Amsterdam. Not as big as in Germany but last year there was the Christmas Market on Damrak.

Haarlem (15 minutes by train from Amsterdam) has a big Christmas Market on December 8 and 9 on the market square and the streets around it. There will also be music and other activities. I know it’s not your dates, but I’m case someone else find this later on and is led to believe there are no Christmas Markets in Amsterdam region.

Things will become more clear closer to December as not everything is being advertised yet.

Reply to: Christmas Markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted