We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving and leaving

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
8 reviews
Arriving and leaving

Well, I am so excited that I booked our next trip to Europe this weekend!! Travels dates aren't until the end of April, so gives me lots of time to plan.

We will be arriving by train (from Munich) and leaving the city by plane back home.

Just a couple of questions for this portion of the trip.

We will only be there 2 nights, and I want to be able to walk as much as possible. Primary interest is the Anne Frank house and a canal tour. Any thoughts on a area that I should concentrate on for a hotel.

Also what is the recommended transportation to the airport on our departure date? I believe our flight leaves around 10am.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

L

23 replies to this topic
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Arriving and leaving

One thing that you MUST do if you want to go into the Anne Frank House: buy the tickets ONLINE.

Tickets are now only available online and for a specific date and time.

Transportation to and from the airport: train to Amsterdam Centraal or any other Amsterdam station depending on where you will be staying. Then bus or tram if necessary. There are also buses from the airport.

Once you decide where you will be staying, it will be easier to arrange the transportation.

Check 9292.nl for the best transportation. Here you can enter your starting point and destination and it will give you transportation options.

Since you will be staying only 2 nights, I'd say pick somewhere in the city center. That way you can walk to most of the sights.

Start searching for hotels now. Hotels can be quite expensive in Amsterdam.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Arriving and leaving

Thanks damsca. I just used the website you gave me and it looks very easy to get from the central train station to the airport. Do these tickets need to be purchased in advance? I did know about the Anne Frank tickets needing to be booked online and 60 days out. I will be setting my calendar for that. Looking forward to our trip, I'll start looking for hotels in the city center. I have a map on order and once it gets here I'll have a better idea of the layout of the city.

Thanks again

L

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Arriving and leaving

Train tickets in the netherlands do not need to be bought in advance.

If you got to ns.nl, you have the option to buy the ticket online and print it out or use an app on your mobile phone.

I think if you buy the ticket via a ticket machine or ticket office at the station, you have to pay a surcharge (of 1 euro).

The downside of buying it online, you have to know the travel date.

https:/…losse-kaartjes-toeslagen

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Arriving and leaving

Oh.. if you need to take the bus/tram/metro to your hotel from the station.... there is another story. :)

the ticket bought at ns.nl is only for the trains.

For public transport in Amsterdam (not the trains):

https://www.gvb.nl/tickets

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Arriving and leaving

Thanks, I have bookmarked these sites. I'm hoping not to need public transportation for our short time there. But good to know in case

L

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
594 reviews
6. Re: Arriving and leaving

it's very easy to just turn up in schiphol and be in the centre of amsterdam within an hour, the train is about 20 minutes. there's really no need to book in advance.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Arriving and leaving

Scott, thanks, I will actually be going the opposite way. The city center to the airport, but I'm going to assume it's the same both ways. Anyone with an idea of how early we should arrive at the airport for an international flight? I believe 3 hours is pretty standard.

Thanks again

L

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Arriving and leaving

Hi Lahad,

The route in most cases will be the same (airport to city or vice versa).

I think 3 hours is a good time.

I would advise you to check schiphol website for any updates on how busy the airport is or whether there will be a strike or any other disturbances.

https:/…today

Also, check the NS (train) website to see any disturbances on your departure day.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Arriving and leaving

Once you decide on a hotel, check to see what is more convenient to get to the airport. Depending on the hotels location, the bus 397 may be a better option than the train from Amsterdam Centraal.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,946 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Arriving and leaving

Nail down your exact dates and an idea of daily hotel budget and I will take a look at hotels for you.

The best approach for your dates IMO is to look now and book the best refundable rate you can find in the best value best located hotel.

Then as you get closer look for non refundable rates and see if you can do better that way

A refundable rate now might end up being a better deal than a discount non refundable rate later.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 21:12
Reply to: Arriving and leaving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted