We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
50 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

We are travelling from Perth Western Australia to Madrid (where we have been before) for a few days then on to Porto; Lisbon; Amsterdam and Brussels.

We arrive in Madrid on the 2nd May and fly home to Western Australia on the 26th May from Brussels.

So far we haven't planned how many days to spend in any of the cities and I was hoping this forum might be able to help!

We will be doing largely Air BNBs, so any recommendations in that regard would also be welcome.

This is our first trip to Portugal, Amsterdam and Brussels and we don't know yet what we want to see particularly but in Portugal it will be a lot around food...

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Carolena

14 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Given that you have 24 days including arrival and departure days which you will likely have to discount, that leaves you 22 days for 5 cities. Doable yes. You will have to factor in 4 more travel days to that so if you leave Madrid on the 6th that gives about 18 full days.

I would give Amsterdam 4 of those.

The city council here are likely to ban private apartment rentals in the very centre (it is already somewhat restricted) by next year and restrict them outside so I would keep an eye on that or look for apartohtels like Erik Vokel.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 11:58
Perth Western...
Level Contributor
50 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Fantastic - thank you!

Why are they looking at banning private apartment rentals in the central city?

Thanks so much for the tip off.

We were thinking of 5 days in Amsterdam so we can fully appreciate the city.

I've been told Brussels is easy to "do" in 2-3 days so I think we have quite a bit of time.

Any other ideas?

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

“Why are they looking at banning private apartment rentals in the central city?”

Because the city is turning into Disneyland. If all apartments are rented out to tourists, it leads to sky high apartment prices, shops for locals being replaced by shops for tourists, which leads to Amsterdammers moving out of the city, which leads to more apartments that are rented out to tourists, which leads to even higher apartment prices etc etc etc

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

They are thinking of banning Airbnb because we actually have a problem with too much tourism in Amsterdam. As you can imagine some people come to party and are not respectful of neighbours that live in the same building. Amsterdam is a very old city with centuries old buildings with not such good sound insulation so residents were getting pissed off.

People were also running multiple apartments as a business so basically illegal hotels. It also had an effect on rent and housing prices.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
50 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Thanks Ronaldo

We have some similar problems here in Australia too.

You recommend an apartment hotel instead then?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Situation is still in flux at the moment. People are still allowed to rent out for up to 60 days per year but they were going to further restrict that to 30 days outside the canal ring and a complete ban inside. That is not to say that you can't get rentals still as some people might have legally licensed places or indeed fall outside the restrictions so I would not discount airbnb altogether.

There are not that many aparthotels. Erik Vokel, Yays and hoteltwenty eight come to mind as well as the Nova Apartments near the Museumplein.

Also quite cool are Sweets Hotel https://sweetshotel.amsterdam/locations/ which are stand alone apartments in converted bridge control offices all over the city although they only accommodate 2 people in each one so how many of you are there?

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
50 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

Hi there

We are just a couple, so the converted bridge control apartments could be good.

I have been reading about some of the areas inside the canal ring where we might prefer.

Museumplein I think was one. We would probably like to be close to "the action" but not necessarily right in it.

We can't wait to visit Amsterdam.

Thank you for your help so far.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

A pedant writes : Museumplein is actually outside the 'canal ring', but still a good place to be (and not far from 'the action', whatever that might be.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

We stayed in Haarlem - a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam. It gave us a reason to explore another city (Haarlam is lovely!). We bought a 3 day AART travel pass that we could use in Amsterdam and all surrounding areas. That encouraged us to see other towns that were just a short train ride away. I suppose it depends what you like to do. We walk a lot just exploring towns.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam

You don't mention a budget, but I stayed in a place called Museum Suites. I had a kitchenette, but I'm not sure all the rooms did. It was about €200/night. Very close to the museums.

Reply to: How long and where should we stay in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted