We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet passport at the airport

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Pet passport at the airport

I am supposed to travel from Mumbai, India to Amsterdam soon via KLM. My pet dog is going to be travelling with us in cabin. We have all the documentation prepared from our end but we will need to get a pet passport when we land in Schipol. Is there a vet at the airport who can assist with this? If yes, is he/she available throughout or is it at particular times only?

In case this service is not available at the airport, can anyone please suggest a place where I can get this done for my dog? Are these services available on weekends as well, asking because I would land there on a Saturday morning.

Thanks a lot in advance!

21 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,058 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Pet passport at the airport

I don't understand this. Surely the point of a pet passport is that you have it before you travel. I think you need to clarify with KLM what is required. I would have thought that border control would not allow a pet without a pet passport into the country and KLM would not allow the dog to fly but certainly not my area of expertise.

Also there is a travelling with pets forum. Try there.

2. Re: Pet passport at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2018, 21:36

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
3. Re: Pet passport at the airport

Hi Ronaldo. Thanks for your reply. The thing about pet passports from the EU is that your pet needs to be in the EU to get one. Since this will be the first time that my dog is travelling to that continent, she will be travelling without one for the first time. In it's absence, you need a document called a EU Annex IV which is some kind of EU pet import license.

Some details about that are available here - https://travelnuity.com/eu-pet-passport/

The information I was looking for was specifically around where I can get a pet passport made once I do get there with her.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Pet passport at the airport

The name petpassport is misleading. As it isn't a passport. It's a booklet with information about vaccinations, medicine use etc of the animal. Immigration doesn't care in the least about pets. Customs and the food and consumer product safety however do.

Consult Dutch authorities regarding guidelines etc: https://english.nvwa.nl/topics/travelling-to…

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
5. Re: Pet passport at the airport

Thanks for your response Lionheart. I have done all the steps mentioned in the link you have referenced. So, the only point left for me to finalize on is the pet passport after landing at Schipol. Is there a registration process to be done for her at the airport by any chance?

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Pet passport at the airport

Go through the red lane at customs and they'll help you out. It could lead to the pet being quarantined for the time there is no one available to help out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,058 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Pet passport at the airport

So if I read that correctly you don't actually need a pet passport as soon as you arrive, you can just make an appointment at a vet whilst you are here so you can just google one near where you will stay.

Are you travelling on the same day by air or something?

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Pet passport at the airport

You are right. My plan is to leave the next day for London and so I need to get the pet passport thing sorted out fairly quickly at Amsterdam.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
9. Re: Pet passport at the airport

You can't fly with a pet in the cabin or even in a kennel as luggage to the UK. What you need to do is go to the ferry in Hoek van Holland and go on as a foot passenger with an on-board kennel booked ahead. You'll also need to show a rabies certificate and proof of deworming. Make sure to get the rabies shots at the right time as there is only a certain window after (not too soon, not too late) that you can travel. Good luck, you've got a lot of things to prepare.

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
10. Re: Pet passport at the airport

Hi ASW33. You are right and that's the whole reason that I am travelling to the UK via Amsterdam. We will carry my pet into Amsterdam in cabin via KLM. We have the titre test, deworming and other vet certificates ready and its been 3 months since the blood was taken for the titre test as well.

From Amsterdam, we plan to drive to London therefore ensuring that my dog doesn't have to travel in the hold of the plane. I have managed to narrow down one particular vet in Amsterdam who has confirmed that they do the pet passport thing. Hoping it goes well. Completely agree with you, there is a LOT to prepare for!

Reply to: Pet passport at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted