We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Hi - I will be traveling with a group of 7 in September and trying to decide if we should take the train to Amsterdam or fly? Curious if anyone has done both and has an opinion. The time it will take for either option will be about equal, but I am thinking the train may offer a more relaxing experience. I would love to hear any advice and opinions. The new high-speed train will take 3h 41m. Flying will take about the same if you account for the two-hour arrival prior to the flight. In looking at Eurostar website it will not allow for us to book our date, but through Eurorailways.com we can. Not sure why that is? The cost seems high at $190. Thank you so much for any advice!

20 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,786 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Train is faster than flying. you are not taking into account the time to get to and from airports especially in London. Then clearing immigration etc. That is done in London on the Eurostar.

What site are you using (don't use 3rd party bookers). https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/trains shows departures on the 7/9th from USD60.

There are only 2 direct trains per day at the moment though.

Edit - Sorry I saw 7 and september and checked that date but bookings are open up to the 27 Sep. What are your dates? I hope not during the IBC dates 13- 18th.

Edited: 02 May 2018, 21:51
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Thank you for your input! We are looking to leave London the 29th of September. On Eurostar it shows that date blacked out at this point. It does show the day before and the Monday after though as being able to book. Will they open up the 29th at some point to book directly on Eurostar?

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Lisa: that eurorailways thing is just a other shonky third party site. What they do is they get your data and enter it on the Eurostar site as soon as they open up for booking. They buy the early bird tickets (around €70 I believe). Everything they charged you more than the price of those early bird tickets is pure profit for them for doing something even a (slightly) trained monkey can do... And what makes you think that a third party booking site can sell tickets for a train for which tickets aren't even sold by the company operating the train? The general rule is: only book tickets on the site of the actual train operator. No third party site can sell tickets cheaper or earlier than that the train company releases them.

Keep on checking Eurostar.com tickets will be available shortly. My guess would be either tomorrow or the day after.

Regarding the time: 3h41m is from city centre to city centre. Flying from city centre to city centre would be well over 5 hours: 45 mins from central London to Heathrow. 2 hours waiting time. 1 hour flight time, 30 mins at least through immigration and customs. More if you have checked luggage and then 30 mins to central Amsterdam.

In general when high speed rail comes into the equation it'll be faster and more convenient than flying.

Edited: 03 May 2018, 00:03
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
4. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Depends on when you want to arrive in Amsterdam. If you want to arrive in Amsterdam in the morning you have to fly, otherwise take one of the two direct Eurostars ( arrival early afternoon or mid evening). It is the cheapest, baggage and seat selection is included and you don't have to change from train to plane and back to train again.

I also did a time comparison and for me personally it takes about the same time for me to take the train as it would for me to fly. I leave London at the same time and arrive at home at around the same time as my usual flight.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

It also depends on where you are staying in London. If you are staying in the eastern part of London, a flight out of the small London City Airport to Amsterdam will still be quicker than the train. KLM has several flights a day from London City Airport to Amsterdam. London City Airport is a small and very efficient airport that is well connected to the city by rail.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,786 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

>>Will they open up the 29th at some point to book directly on Eurostar?<<

Strange thing is that the following weekend is open to book but I see only one direct service a day in the morning on Saturdays. Was that your travel date?

Could be planned works on the line that day of course so maybe no trains. You should always be able to take the Eurostar to Brussels and then Thalys or normal IC from there.

+ 1 for London City too.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,488 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

A lot depends on your start and end points in both London and Amsterdam. For a rough estimate, the average sort of time I'd allow from a hotel in Central London to a hotel near Dam Square would be as follows:

Train

30 mins to St Pancras. 45 minutes for check in etc. 3 hrs 41 minutes journey time, and 10 minutes to the hotel. Total = just over 5 hours.

Plane

1 hour to the airport, 2 hours check in etc, 45 mins flight, 45 mins getting hrough the airport, and 45 mins to the hotel. Total around 5hrs 15 mins.

So at a rough estimate I agree with you that time wise it's going to be very similar (City Airport being a possible exception). So for me it then comes down to price, the convenience of departure times, comfort and enjoyment.

The train wins for me on both of the final points, but might not beat the plane on the first two.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,258 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

While some people are still hanging around the departure lounge at the airport waiting to board their flight to Schiphol, trying to avoid buying an expensive cup of coffee and snack, the train will be speeding through the French and Belgian countryside while you enjoy your own food and drink, bought for a lot less, that you took on board because there are no liquid restrictions when travelling by train. You can even take your own bottle of wine or beer if you like!

You will walk off the train at Amsterdam Centraal and straight onto a tram, or into a taxi, to take you to your accommodation. Or you might want to to walk if you haven't got too much luggage.

Those arriving at the airport will have to trek through arrivals and then queue at border control (you will have already done this before boarding Eurostar in London), then to baggage collection to wait for their bags (unless they only had carry on luggage). Then they'll have to work out how they are getting from the airport to the centre of Amsterdam, so that will be more time and money spent on train, bus or taxi...

A friend of mine took Eurostar from London to Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, just after the new service started. He said it was excellent.

Edited: 03 May 2018, 18:39
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

With the new Eurostar direct service to Amsterdam, my opinion is that the train is the only way to go. Assuming that you're staying more-or-less centrally in both cities, there is actually a savings in time and expense. If you factor in a "cheap" EasyJet flight (base fare plus luggage and seat selection averages $90.00), plus the expense of getting to and from the airports (about $80.00), you'll pay around $170.00 to get there. On the other hand, you can purchase *premium class* Eurostar tickets for as low as 109.00, avoid the circus of the airport and travel in first class comfort. Taxi to St Pancras might be around $10 - $30.00) Sure, your flight is only 1:30 long compared to 3:55 on the train, but your door-to-door travel time will probably be less.

UK
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?

Where did you get those figures, #9? I think you are vastly overstating the cost of getting to/from the airport, and vastly understating the cost of premium travel on Eurostar.

A flight from LCY to AMS is still the quickest way to get from Central London to Central Amsterdam.

Reply to: Train from London To Amsterdam or Fly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted