We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

I started the process of booking with this company and all seemed legit at first but suspected something was not quite right from the follow up emails they sent me. I checked the domain and the site had been created 3 days earlier and is registered in the Cayman islands. The site claims they have been operating for 7 years so I emailed them telling them that I was arriving at night with my young children and wanted to check they were legit and give them a chance to explain. They replied but didn't answer any of my questions, just said that there were loads of people interested in booking, could I make a decision now, its a good price etc.

Obviously a scam. Wanted to put this on here so that it comes up when people google them.

56 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
4 reviews
51. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

I assume you're addressing me. Please, where have I been rude, not nice, cowardly, negative or unuseful?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
52. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

No not you, i’ve no idea what you posted.

I was referring to the poster named ‘lionheart’

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
53. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Although reading your and Breda’s comments about ‘bumping’ the posts seems like you think my post and others’ posts are suspicious.

Maybe not everyone has as much experience as you in booking accommodation. Maybe they’re not as knowledgeable as you amazing people seem to be about scams. Does not make them stupid or suspicious as you seem to be insinuating.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
4 reviews
54. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

>Maybe not everyone has as much experience as you in booking accommodation. Maybe they’re not as knowledgeable as you amazing people seem to be about scams. Does not make them stupid or suspicious as you seem to be insinuating.

All that overwrought emotion is coming from you. You're really over reacting, and your post in #2 sort of sets the stage, doesn't it? You should have replied with a "thank you, I didn't think of that" or better yet not respond at all. But you flipped out and commanded another nice human being to stop responding in this open forum.

> . Does not make them stupid or suspicious as you seem to be insinuating.

I never said anything of the sort. It's you that's insinuating. All my offers to help find accomodations were sincere. We do a pretty good job here at that, all things considered.

What is suspicious is that I offer, what 5 times in this single thread, to help people who appear out of nowhere saying they've been scammed and now have no place to stay, and there's nary a response. In the decade plus that I've been reading this forum daily, never has there been such a phenomenon such as this scam site thing. I've been very careful to say that I don't claim to know one way or another. It's just very interesting.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,052 posts
3 reviews
55. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Jazzyazzy - My suggestion to you would be if you are going to continue posting on forums, whether here or elsewhere, that you learn some internet manners. Your reaction to BTG's response in post #2 was unconscionable. She provided excellent information in a straightforward manner and you immediately stepped off the ledge. Outstanding responses providing excellent information have been provided throughout this thread for people taking the time to read them. And I don't think Pala was insinuating anything as I think he and lionheart were flat out making the case for it.

I think most reading through this thread will agree with me in saying that before you start calling out others that YOU be a little more circumspect about making better use or your time. I would further submit that it is YOU being rude.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Edited: 20 August 2018, 04:29
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
17 reviews
56. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

@Jazzy: so after 6 months you came back to bump this thread up once again. Just after we had a few posts mentioning sites like this one.

The problem with this thread and a few others is that there seems to be more than meets the eye. Threads are bumped up in a certain order. All by first time posters who just signed up or have been doing nothing for a while. (which you were back then).

Now actually is the same. The past few days we've had 1 or 2 threads about sites like this and suddenly you come back to reply too. I'm sure it's coincidence but it sure is strange too.

Reply to: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted