We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

I started the process of booking with this company and all seemed legit at first but suspected something was not quite right from the follow up emails they sent me. I checked the domain and the site had been created 3 days earlier and is registered in the Cayman islands. The site claims they have been operating for 7 years so I emailed them telling them that I was arriving at night with my young children and wanted to check they were legit and give them a chance to explain. They replied but didn't answer any of my questions, just said that there were loads of people interested in booking, could I make a decision now, its a good price etc.

Obviously a scam. Wanted to put this on here so that it comes up when people google them.

56 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

“all seemed legit at first ”

The fact that they clearly state on their website that you can only pay by direct bank transfer, should have told you immediately that this is a scam.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Thanks for your useful comment Breda. No need to respond to any more of my posts unless relevant.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

In my reply to your post, I explain how you can recognize a apartment rental site that is trying to scam people. Please explain how that is not relevant??

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Jazzy, it is good that you warn people as there are so many scams.

However, Breda was simply stating that people should be aware that many scam artists usually only accept payment by direct bank transfer, etc. So a little bit of an overreaction i think!

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

It would be helpful if you would mention what website exactly you're talking about.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Good Point !!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Jazzy, if you want to start a thread here fine. But you are not here to tell anyone they can or can't respond on your thread.

The fact that Breda is giving others who read this thread good info that can keep them safe is the issue. In Amsterdam never pay with a bank transfer. You would have to be inanely ignorant of scam history to do so.

Suggesting that anyone should pay directly with a bank transfer on a rental property in Amsterdam is truly bad advice.

The fact you don't want to hear that good info is a non issue.

Rome, Italy
3 posts
8. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

Yes,unit amsterdam is a scam,before the company was called 'holiday travel amsterdam' and now the have opened a new website www.travelholidayamsterdam.com

Be careful!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

I think they may have recently created another website:

www.travelplanetamsterdam.com

They will not answer any of my questions to verify their identity and want full payment plus 500 euro security deposit within 24 hours by bank transfer "directly to owner." They sent link for transferwise.com to send money. Name on emails is Michael Alder, but he refuses to give me a phone number for contact. The domain name was created earlier this month and is linked to Panama. Website setup is identical to www.travelholidayamsterdam.com. I told him I could not send any money until his identity had been verified. No response since. BEWARE! Thank you to @gicicc for the help!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,590 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!

So, just what help did @gicicc provide you?

Reply to: Unit Amsterdam SCAM!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted