We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam part 20

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
539 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam part 20

Having recently come back from Amsterdam part 19, I've just realised that this time last year i'd already booked my summer trip. I'm toying with the idea of NOT going. See how long that lasts.

One thing that puzzles me is the prices of hotels that are often quoted on here. I know there's a guy (i think called John) who finds deals, but are these for really high quality hotels as I always pay less than what I see stated here. If John could give me an idea of prices for the dates July 24th to 28th within the canal rings, single room, it would give me an idea.

Also, anyone know what's going on with Cafe Alto. It was closed when I was there and I've just discovered they changed their name for some reason.

Cheers in advance.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam part 20

http://tinyurl.com/jlco9x2

Yes. MrJohnMD can get you good prices on high quality hotels. If you can find good pricing using another method could you please share with the forum.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam part 20

Scott, I and others follow opaque discount sites such as Hotwire and Priceline express deal. But depending on what you are looking for you are likely to find cheaper less expensive places to stay on your own

For the most part I am looking for upscale highly reviewed (7+ to 9+) 4 and 5 stars----double rooms. And while not impossible it's pretty hard to beat the discount prices for the level of hotel with the locations we can find this way.

If you normally stay in a 2* small single use room you are no doubt staying cheaper. These prces I find are for 4-5 star double rooms with high review scores.

I will look at your dates now

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam part 20

thanks for the link, i must have issed that thread. hope the place isn't finished as it is a wonderful venue and I only discovered it a few trips ago.

I tend to use booking.com so no secrets :) I'm looking at £250 for 4 nights in a decentish hotel right in the heart. It was only £200 before the EU referendum but now everything is more expensive.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam part 20

$115 usd

And

$122 usd

So a little over 100 euros a night plus tax. A 8+ four star museum zone four star double room and a 9+ four star Jordaan zone-----this will be the Room Mate Aitana

Both highly reviewd four star double rooms in the center during July-----but you are looking for something cheaper. And a single use room in a 1-2 star will be cheaper. So may be hotels farther out from the center.

Any questions just ask

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam part 20

Thanks John. That is a bit over my budget. I'm looking at a hotel for 4 nights for about £250 pretty bang in centre. I'm more a basic hotel kinda guy :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam part 20

I was a basic hotel kind of guy until I gave up on stairs and until I found $68 usd four star double rooms as we did for many years thru bidding.

Scott they have cheaper lower starred hotels at PL EXpress Deal. They are just not a lot cheaper than better starred better reviewed hotels. But you can find 2 and 3 stars there.

7. Re: Amsterdam part 20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2018, 11:48