We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Port of Spain...
6 posts
Save Topic
Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Hello everyone,

It's our first time visiting Amsterdam, and the first time we attempting to smoke anything. Both me and my wife have a strong de-taste from cigarettes and I was checking for alternatives here in the forum. It was stated here before that brownies (or any type of food) might be too harsh of an experience for the first timer so instead we considering Vaporisers (being quite safe and does not include tobacco)

1. Can we find Vaporisers everywhere? or only specific places rent those? is there a better alternative for vaporisers?

2. My wife is REALLY concerned about having a bad experience. She is pretty nervous as couple of friends told her horror tales about them spending their vacation in the hotel sick or being too high. Is there any specific place we should go that is nice and easy for first timers? some place with a serious budtenders that will select the light/safe bud type for her and introduce her to what to do/not to do for the first time? we staying pretty close to Dam Square (near Tabaco theater).

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,902 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

As somebody wrote in a recent thread "Just because you are allowed to do something, it doesn't mean you have to"

A lot of places have vaporisers and most shops are happy to give advice. The problem with space cakes or brownies is that the effect is not pretty instant as with smoking, so people can think 'this isn't working, I'd better have some more' and they end being off their heads an hour later, so easy does it.

Port of Spain...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Interesting saying :-)

I don't think she doesn't want to, she is curious - but she want to do it in a safe and light way. I'm guess we will see how it goes when we are there, but it's good to hear most places do have vaporisers.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Please have a look at these threads, you will find some useful advices there

https:/…81045722

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Try the Dolphine coffeeshop. Vapes on every table pretty much. Barneys has volcano vapes on the tables and they supply the bags.

The one draw back to vapes is what makes them so popular-----it's like taking in nothing but air. Soooo very smooth. It's easy to keep right on drawing and inhailing thinking you are taking nothing in. My first vape experience I ended up walking in circles.

So it's very very important to take in just a little. Take in less than you need or want at first. If you get a very light day smoke and go very very slow you should be fine.

But it's all in the light inhale and the many minutes between inhales. Don't do what you see others doing. A small sip and then sit back and relax

Edited: 14 February 2017, 19:04
Port of Spain...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Thanks for the supplied threads patra01, I will check those out.

MrJohnMd, thanks for the detailed response. You mentioned Barney's "supply the bags". Isn't every coffeshop do just that? or I need to come with my own something beforehand? Also - I'm not sure I know what "light day smoke" means :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

No you need to bring nothing :-)

It was a confusing statement on my part. You will see the vapes on the table at Barneys but you won't be able to use them as you see them. You will ask staff for a bag to use and they will supply. It's the bag that gets filed with vapor.

The vapes at the dolphin are a different type and do not use a bag

All our links and advice on toking for newbies starts and ends with the advice to smoke something light. A light day smoke instead of a heavier strain you might use at night is what you ask the dealer for. Their lightest strain in fact.

Edited: 14 February 2017, 19:49
Port of Spain...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

Oh, I see :-)

Is there hygiene difference between a bag a non bag? as it might be another turn off for my wife.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

AT Barneys I was given a brand new bag to use. And I was also given some alcohol wipes if I were to share my bag-----which I did with the nice couple that was letting me join their table and use their vape.

If you get a used bag use the wipes or cup your hand in a way so that your mouth is on your hand not the vape.

If in doubt or still full of worry just offer to buy a fresh bag from them I believe that should work.

Port of Spain...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

So, Barney's. Vaps. Day Smoke. Inhaling small amount of air once every 15 minutes and see how it goes. It feeling bad, eat a candy bar.

Seems like a plan :)

The only read issues it's like 25 minutes from our hotel. I would preferred to have something closer in-case we will want go back to the room, but oh well :)

Edited: 14 February 2017, 20:10
10. Re: Safe Alternative to Smoking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 February 2017, 07:08