We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holocaust Tour

7 posts
Save Topic
Holocaust Tour

Hello, I am planning a 2 week trip to see as many Holocaust related sites as possible and want to start in Amsterdam and end in Poland. We are only seeing 3 sites in the Netherlands and the majority will be in Germany and Poland. Do you think the train would be the best way to do this or rent a car? I know for some camps in Poland you must have a vehicle to reach it. Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Europe
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holocaust Tour

Which three places are you going?

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holocaust Tour

Corrie Ten Boom Hiding Place, Anne Frank House and Westerbork (with a trip to the Red Light District for fun also).

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holocaust Tour

The resistance museum is a must see shows how everyone was affected by the war

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holocaust Tour

Is it close by? Thank you!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holocaust Tour

No, it's quite far from the Westerbork red light district.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holocaust Tour

I have no idea why Pala32 must be so rude.

There are several resistance museums. One is in Amsterdam, by the Artis zoo. That one is interesting. I have'nt been to any of the others in other towns.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holocaust Tour

For your other question's..

Westerbork is close to Assen. Take a train to Assen and then maybe a bus, or rent a bike and cycle to Westerbork. So you can also cover the large area there.

For Poland I think I would fly and than rent a car there.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Holocaust Tour

Assen-Westerbork is 32 minutes by cycling says google maps. Or i guess there are busses or maybe grouptours.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Holocaust Tour

Westerbork is quite far out, in a remote area.

Though I doubt if it's worth the extra time and hassle of renting a car, to save a bit of time and hassle ...

Just use google maps to get routes with public transport, it says take a bus from Assen station for 15 minutes and then its another 2 kilometer walk. Alternatively take a taxi from Assen train station.

Haarlem you can best do by train from Amsterdam.

Don't forget to visit the "Hollandse Schouwburg" in Amsterdam, it's not that big and often overlooked but would be a perfect starting point for your trip as far as I can tell.

jck.nl/en/…national-holocaust-memorial

Ticket is a combined one together with Jewish Historic museum and some other locations. (portugese synagoge is worthwile too)

Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holocaust Tour

Corrie Ten Boom is amazing BTW! My husband and I thought it was a lot better than Anne Frank Haus.

This was because anne frank Hauser is so busy, we were shuffled through and it was done in about an hour. I felt as though we couldn't take our time.

Corrie Ten Boom was excellent, time was taken to explore her story and really embrace the house and surroundings.

Edited: 09 February 2017, 12:45