We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NH Hotel

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
NH Hotel

hi

What's difference between location of NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel (Krasnapolsky), and the NH Amsterdam Center.

It shows that both are in Center.. Which location is better than the other?

Which is closer to shopping or a lively street?

Mentioned in this post
NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
NH Collection Amsterdam...
2,323 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
#1 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Ambassade Hotel
Ambassade Hotel
#2 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
The Toren
The Toren
#3 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NH Hotel

Both good locations. Kras is on Dam Square so good for the RLD and normal chain shops.

Other one is across the street from the Leidseplein and around the corner from the PC Hooftstraat if your shopping experience needs to include Chanel, Gucci and Tiffanys

Mentioned in this post
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,885 Reviews
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
311 Reviews
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NH Hotel

Besides shopping, any thing else? Both on a lively street?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NH Hotel

The Nh Ams center is closer to the park and the museums. id suggest that if you get a good rate you will be happy with either choice. Happy with both locations.

My fav location though is right where the Nh Ams center sits. Others might see it differently.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,458 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NH Hotel

i have experience with the Kras...doesn't get more lively than dam square since that is where it is perched. but dam square not great for bar hopping as the bars lining it are tourist traps..but the red light district very close. two main shopping streets close by..kalverstraat and neuiwendijk (sp). short walk to rembrandtplein, etc. as mention the nh center close to leidseplein, musuems, vondelpark...cant go wrong with either location I guess..i don't prefer one over the other.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NH Hotel

It's so confusing finding a hotel, especially that everyone says all locations within the center is good.

Anyway, I shortlisted between 3 hotels: American Hampshire and NH Amsterdam Center both at the Leidseplein, and Hotel Estherea.

American and NH both are in same price range; which sits on a more preferable location and with better rooms and quality?

Hotel Estherea is a bit more expensive, but it seems it is in a quiet neighborhood, and the room isn't a canal facing.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Hampshire
Hampshire
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
311 Reviews
Hotel Estherea
Hotel Estherea
4,243 Reviews
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NH Hotel

You picked 3 very good hotels.

There is no difference in any meaningful way between the location of the Nh Ams center and the eden american since they are both in the same location. We are talking a 3-4 min slow walk from one to the other. I have never stayed at the american but I have read that the standard rooms are on the small side.

I have seen suggestions for upgrading to a larger room. I have no idea if that is good advice or not.

I have stayed in both an upgraded and a non upgraded room at the Nh Ams center. Except for the lack of a view there was virtually no difference between those rooms that I could tell. For amsterdam I saw those as decent sized rooms. I did like the view but was given that room just for the asking no $$ involved.

The Estherea is more a boutique type of hotel.

Depends on what you want and what you can $$.

You may be over thinking this :-) many of us do so on that first trip

Edited: 19 December 2015, 21:27
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport...
Hotel Estherea
Hotel Estherea
4,243 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NH Hotel

@Steve what are the rooms like in Krasnapolsky? Various friends of mine stayed there and were very disappointed by how small and simple the rooms were, not very fancy for what they cost even after a discount, and not soundproof at all. Or maybe they were given the worst rooms? (Our sports association had a special deal because we organized a party in the big hall below; people joining our party could also rent rooms above that party hall at a discount.)

Mentioned in this post
2,323 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NH Hotel

@Travelerr07 any of those locations is fine.

The Leidseplein ones are a bit more convenient for Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk Museum and Vondelpark.

But Estherea is in the middle of the 9 Straatjes which is a lovely area. http://www.de9straatjes.amsterdam/en/home And it's close to Anne Frank House, the flower market, the Jordaan area...

But Estherea is only 13 minutes walk from American Hotel, just to put it into perspective how small and walkable our center is.

Read the reviews about noise and other criteria that you may find important.

Bars and restaurants can be found all over the center and even outside that they are spread out and never far away.

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Mentioned in this post
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
311 Reviews
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
38,339 Reviews
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
52,926 Reviews
Stedelijk Museum
Stedelijk Museum
96 Reviews
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Vondelpark
Vondelpark
21,251 Reviews
Hotel Estherea
Hotel Estherea
4,243 Reviews
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
52,418 Reviews
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
10,031 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NH Hotel

I've stayed at all four hotels you've mentioned.

Estherea is a boutique style hotel, personal attention, extremely caring staff. I've stayed in a room facing the canal and in a room with very little daylight. I would either book a room with canalview or consider staying at the American or NH Centre because of that, especially because of the price difference.

Krasnapolsky is often picked for it's location. It has been a few years back since I stayed here but I found the rooms to below average for a 5-Star hotel, dated bathrooms and run down rooms. Sometimes they offer a room with Dam Square view at reduced costs. If you can get one you've got a great more spacious, more modern room with great Dam view. I recently had lunch at the Krasnapolsky and the lobby and restaurant has been undergoing extensive renovations, looked greated. But since you don't sleep in the lobby I would look at pictures to see if rooms have been renovated too.

NH Centre and American Hotel are both located in an area that I usually recommend to first time visitors, Vondelpark, Musea, Restaurants and Bars all a stones throw away.

From what I've seen some of the standard Classic rooms and Deluxe rooms at the American have recently been renovated. I guess it wouldn't hurt asking for the possibility to book a renovated room when booking. I like the authenticity of the American , plus it has an amazing restaurant / breakfast room.

NH Centre is a standard well located 4 star hotel. Both for business as leisure travellers a good choice in Amsterdam. Less personality than the Esterea and American Hotel. Spacious rooms, soundproof.

Also check rates for the nearby boutique hotel Roemer, and the Park Hotel. Both located a minute from the NH Centre.

Edited: 19 December 2015, 22:40
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estherea
Hotel Estherea
4,243 Reviews
NH Amsterdam Centre
NH Amsterdam Centre
2,948 Reviews
2,323 Reviews
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,885 Reviews
Vondelpark
Vondelpark
21,251 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hotel Roemer
Hotel Roemer
855 Reviews
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NH Hotel

Hotel Roemer and Park are all in the same price range as the American Hampshire and NH Ams Center for the Deluxe rooms.. I am not going for a standard room in any of the hotels, I'm looking at a higher category such as Deluxe.

The Roemer hotel seems to be inside a small street, while the NH and American and Park are on the main streets; so I would go for the ones on the main street closer to the canal.

Out of the 3 (NH, American and Park), deluxe rooms, in same price range; which should I go with?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Roemer
Hotel Roemer
855 Reviews
Hampshire
Hampshire
England, UK
Amsterdam Airport...