We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

New Delhi, India
7 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

Dear All

Me and my wife will be relocating to Netherlands later this year. My organization has an office in Eindhoven whereas my wife has her office in Amsterdam. I need advise on what will be the best place to take up a rental accomodation, one of these 2 cities or somewhere in between ?

Regards

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

Staying in Utrecht could mean a reaonable commute for both of you.

New Delhi, India
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

Hi Anna

Thank you for the suggestion. How is transport grid like? I have read tht within cities, its pretty good. For intercity travel, are there bus/ train options with reasonsble timings? N hows the cost like? I could not get a sense of cost on links i browsed

Regards

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

www.9292.nl/en will tell you about travel times including buses, trams etc.

ns.nl/en will tell you about the trains only, and various discount cards that you could buy but you might need a Dutch bank account first.

Amsterdam and Utrecht have serious housing problems and it can be difficult or very expensive to find housing. Eindhoven is probably a lot easier, or try Den Bosch which is one hour by train from Amsterdam. Note that Den Bosch also goes by its old-fahioned name ['s Hertogenbosch], but is the very same town.

Also, it's probably better to browse http://www.expatica.com/nl/main.html and ask your questions in their forums. Lots of expats there who might be able to point you in specific directions.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 17:08
Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

As already has been said, Amsterdam and Utrecht are the most expensive.

Den Bosch is has a nice historic city centre that's attractive to tourists (but less attractive when you own a car). A smaller town like Best, perhaps?

Maybe you can contact http://eindhovenexpats.com for more suggestions?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

You want to live in a city or in a small village? Will you travel by train or car?

If you go by car be aware of rush hour commute in both directions.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

It also matters whether your jobs are located in the city center (best accessible by public transport) or on the outskirts. If the latter is the case, driving may be quicker, especially in Eindhoven where there aren't any train stations surrounding the city center. Eindhoven's High Tech Campus for instance is located right next to the A2 highway, but getting there by public transport requires a 20min or so bus ride from the train station. In the end, it all adds up.

7. Re: Amsterdam or Eindhoven or in-between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 09:46