We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to see in 3 days

La Plata, Argentina
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
21 helpful votes
Places to see in 3 days

Hello,

I will be have 3 days in Holand during the second week of August, what are the best places to see and stay during this time?

I'm thinking of renting a car (I'm arriving by plane to Brussels) and see Belgium and Holland (6 days in total). Is it recomended to do it by car or is better to use train/bus?

Thanks!

Seba

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Places to see in 3 days

The Belgian and Netherlands train systems are unsurpassed. Skip the car.

With only 3 days in The Netherlands, I'd spend them all in Amsterdam. As a mater of fact, I'd spend 4 in Amsterdam and 2 in either Brugge, Ghent or Antwerp and explore via train from there.

In all honesty, I'd spend all 6 days in Amsterdam.

Enjoy,

chuck.

La Plata, Argentina
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Places to see in 3 days

Hi! thanks for your answer.

How much does the trains cost? for example between Brussels and Amsterdam,

is it necesary to purchase tickets in advance?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Places to see in 3 days

Here are a coup;le of websites:

www.bahn.de

and

www.ns.nl

No need to purchase in advance. Fares are reasonable.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4. Re: Places to see in 3 days

for schedule and cost go here..station: amsterdam centraal - station: brussels centraal ( or antwerpen centraal, if you wanna go there instead)

http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers

for anywhere else in belgium, us this one

http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Edited: 27 June 2010, 07:02
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,505 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
5. Re: Places to see in 3 days

Due to being bitten alive by, I think a lone kamikaze mosquito, I am now awake in the middle of the night to answer this :-). don't worry I've nuked the bedroom with spray and I think I got the little blighter, tally ho!

Anyways as far as the train between Amsterdam and Brussels is concerned. If you know which train you can feasibly get then book the Thalys as far in advance as you can on

http://www.thalys.com/fr/en/?time=1277606912

They seem to have lots of first class deals for €39 one way. Comfort 1 (1st) is much more comfortable, has free wi-fi and complimentary drinks. Will get you to Amsterdam in under 2 hours from Brussels.

If you want to be more flexible with timings then just do as suggested by Steve & Chuck and take the normal IC train which you can just turn up and pay for.

If cost is more important to you then take the bus. Eurolines takes around 4 hours and leaves from Brussels North train station. One way will be around €18 most gays and they have multiple departures per day.

As to the car issue. Well parking in Amsterdam, you would really have to use the P+R facilities. It really depends on what you want to see.

You can take the train to Amsterdam and rent a Smart car from http://www.sixti-autoverhuur.nl/ for only €10 per day which is great value. But as there is such a good public transport system here, unless you want to go really out of the way you can get most places by train and then bus.

And bring some mosquito repellant LOL

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
6. Re: Places to see in 3 days

Some interesting destinations in the Netherlands (easy accessble by train):

Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Alkmaar, Enkhuizen, Zaanse Schans/Koog Zaandijk

By bus also: Marken and Volendam.

happy travels

Jaap

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
19,496 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Places to see in 3 days

Ron, are you suggesting the bus line charges more or less for straights that book a ticket? :-)

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Places to see in 3 days

"I hear mosquitoes are really bad in Amsterdam" question in:

... ...

Can I see tulips in November?

chuck.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
9. Re: Places to see in 3 days

mosquitos are bad in the dam..i live in southern us where the skeeter is the state bird..and ive never been bitten so bad as when i slept with window open in my apartment near dam square..

La Plata, Argentina
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Places to see in 3 days

I see you recomend train or bus.

I thought about renting a car since we are two and I seems to be cheaper and also for having the posibility to stop in the way and see small towns.

Does hotels usually have free parking? (for hotels under 100 US$) or you have to go outside downtown for finding parking?

What about hotel reservations? is it necesary to do it in advance?

Thanks for your help and comments!