We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Hi!

I need some help.

I´m renting a car with my family to drive around Europe for 2 weeks this summer.

We´re flying into Amsterdam and we´ve been looking at Dollar. car rental with pick up from the airport in Amsterdam.

I´ve never heard of this company before so I don´t trust it, but it´s so much cheaper.

Has anybody rented from them and can assist with actual experience of this company and picking a car up from Schiphol Airport via shuttle bus?

I have a 2 year old and I´m just not into any trouble during the car rental after a flight.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

You might not have heard of them but they have been around for a very long time. More prevalent in the US but they are owned by Hertz. They have changed their logo and branding recently so maybe you were used to the old logo http://tinyurl.com/y9fhabxy

https:/…Dollar_Thrifty_Automotive_Group

I have not rented from there so can't advise on how they are. I see people complaining about the length of time to wait on the shuttle but that is a fairly minor issue if you are expecting it.

Most of the rental companies are in terminal at AMS and just a short walk to the car park to collect the car so you are paying a bit less for the inconvenience of off airport.

Check out this local company too http://www.bblcarrental.com/ who are also off airport but get fairly good reviews.

Avoid a company called Green Motion like the plague.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

yes, dollar/thrifty is prevalent in the states. so they are legit. didn't know they were owned by hertz..thanks ron

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Of course these days - Hertz is suffering badly (down 50% in value in last 2-months and 90% since 2014) and taking Dollar-Thrifty down with them. I hope they can stay longer in business !!

I have been using them a lot more than other car rental companies of late !

Also they both Dollar/Thrifty are at your KFW airport. I rented there using Dollar.

And we need more than just 3 agencies !!

Edited: 15 June 2017, 19:07
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

I have just returned from renting a car with Dollar. I'd think twice before renting from them again but at the end off the day, you do get what you pay for..

Just be warned..........

They have one small 8 seater mini bus that constantly does a round trip picking people up and dropping them off so if its busy be prepared to wait. It's not clear where you have to wait for this bus at the airport as you have to wait at the hotel shuttle bus sign.

I was given the crappiest Fiat 500 which was full off scratches and a dent in the side which they then tried to blame me for and when I said oh no that was there when I picked it up and I have photo's he said thats ok I dont need to see them. (no other cars were available as they were busy with the Moto GP)

If you are going across boarders they charge you a large fee so be warned.

I'm just in dispute with the rental agency at the moment as I thought I'd booked unlimited milage but Dollar have charged me extra as they said I only had 100KM per day.

Klaipeda, Lithuania
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Scammers!!!. Never have deal with this company

Klaipeda, Lithuania
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Scammers. Never have a deal with Dollar car rental

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

thank you for signing up today and searching for this dead post and posting ..twice. welcome to Tripadvisor.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 01:26
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Can you at least clarify what happened? And please don't go telling how they added charges for damage which wasn't there etc. I hear scammers, so I want a good story!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Do not go near this company with a barge pole. Am in the process of recovering €1500 that they tried to scam me out of for a tiny scratch and dent on a car that was certainly there when I rented it. Luckily I had fully comp insurance bought elsewhere (presumably when they see this it forms part of their scam). Pay more and go with something more reputable and check your car thoroughly before leaving the premises.

Reply to: Dollar. rental car from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted