We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Hi. I have searched the forums for the nearest train station to Rhine Falls. Majority of the threads suggest that the nearest station is Schloss Laufen and the timetable can be found on sbb site. However, I have tried both sbb website as well as google maps but no train directly goes to this station.The routing is upto Daschen and then either bus or walk. Can somebody please guide me as to the exact routing to Schloss Laufen or do I have to walk for the last km or so? Thanks.

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,093 Reviews
from US$ 161.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,108 Reviews
from US$ 247.40*
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

The stop is actually at Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. If you go to www.sbb.ch, choose English from the language selections, then put in your departure station and then Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. It will arrive directly below the castle. You walk up the stairs to the information area and can get tickets there. Then explore the castle and follow the train downhill, stopping at each viewing spot for the falls. At the bottom, you can buy tickets for the boats which will first take you across the otherside and then you can get on another boat (all tix bought at first location) depending on which ride you'd like to do (can go close to falls, can go to rock in center of falls, can do longer boat ride around the river, etc). When its over, you'll be at the Neuhausen side. We had a bit of an issue getting to Schaffhausen from here as it did end up in a bit of a walk to the bus, with very poor signage. We did find it though. It probably took 15min or so to get there. There is a train but tourist information told me it was a longer walk. I didn't try so I'm not sure. HTH

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Thanks Casperjj for such a detailed reply. The information would really come in handy. But the original query remains the same. I had searched from Zurich HB to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. It gives me a routing involving a train change and then a bus (Zurich to Winthethur, Winterthur to Daschen and from Daschen to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall by bus).

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

I'll have a look at it. We went last week and changed trains in Winterthur but that was it. The train went directly to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Ok. Just had a look. The bus from Schaffhausen to Schloss Laufen seems to be the only way (it runs in direction to Daschen but you don't have to actually go there for all routes.). There's a note that there is construction on the line so no trains are running that route.

From my experience, even though they say its 3min to the bus, generally its just a matter of walking from your arriving train to the front of the train station. The bus should then drive you directly to the entrance of Schloss Laufen so it will save you walking up all those stairs from the train station to the castle itself. It might actually be an easier trip.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Thanks for all the help. It must be because of the construction. Hopefully by the time of my trip, the line would open again.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

hi i went on this august 3rd 2013, we took a train from zurich HB to schaffhausen via winterthur, we got out at Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall ( which is the station before schaffhausen). from schloss station its just a 100 mt walk to the rhine falls no confusion .

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Thanks praveen309. But right now the sbb website does not show any direct connection via train to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. Probably because the line between Daschen and Schaffhausen is closed for construction right now as pointed out by casperjj.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

fahrplan.sbb.ch/him/1372327731735_0812-0918%…

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

Thanks a lot Swissaholic. That link definitely settles the question.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
10. Re: Rhine Fall Train Station Confusion

You will never have a direct (no changes) connection from Zurich to "Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall", also in normal conditions, so after 18 September again. In normal conditions, you will have to change to S33 in Winterthur, if you want to get off at the stop "Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall". ( and this stop is not being served in general after 17:31!)