We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to Paris

Salmiya, Kuwait
5 posts
Save Topic
Zurich to Paris

Hello guys

I need your valuable opinion, i am traveling in August but still very confused how to cover the cities and enjoys the time there.

The start point is Zurich and end point is Paris in10 days.

So anyone guide me how should i plan the things with number nights and number of attractions to cover. i wanted to cover Zurich ,Interlaken, Geneva and then Paris and then back to Zurich to fly home.

Thanks in advance

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,068 Reviews
from US$ 163.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,087 Reviews
from US$ 251.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
387 Reviews
from US$ 251.00*
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,125 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich to Paris

I suppose the ten days includes Paris? If so, you really should have at least 4 days there which leaves 6 days for Switzerland but really the last day will be spent getting to Paris.

Suppose you were to spend your last night of the whole trip in Zürich. That would give you time enough to see the centre of town (which is beautiful) but also leave you more time for the rest of your stay here. I would suggest you consider staying in Luzern and not Interlaken. Luzern is a wonderful town. Interlaken is not. But if you want to be in the Jungfrau area, stay up in the mountains - Mürren or Wengen or Grindelwald and get a feel for what being in the mountains is like. If you want to go to the Jungfraujoch it is easier from Wengen or Grindelwald.

Luzern makes a great base for Central Switzerland and there is a lot to do around there. Including the three "local" mountains - Rigi, Pilatus and Titlis (at Engelberg). Mt Titlis is high and if getting into the snow is on your list this is the place to go in this area.

You could leave Luzern in the early am of the day you go to Paris, travel to Geneva, check your bags at the station and then explore the centre of Geneva and the "vieille ville" or old town. Geneva to Paris takes 3 hours. And you can eat dinner on the train... so that would give you a large part of the day in Geneva. For more about Geneva see

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

For Zürich see: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Hope this sets you thinking!

Salmiya, Kuwait
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich to Paris

hi Hambagahle

Thanks you so much for your advise really appreciated.

Sorry i made little change in my plan. now i will be travelling on 27th Aug to 7 Sep , here i planned my trip

zurich(2nights)

luzern(3 or 4 nights)

paris(3 nights)

frankfurt(1nights)

Zurich (1 night) fly back to home.

So would you please guide me what shall i do in zurich and which location i should take hotel and then how many days i should spend in luzern as u suggested its better than interlaken to stay.

And yes i do like to see mountains and really want to see beauty there.so the question is shall i book hotel in luzern for 4 nights or less and spend some nights on top in hotel ?

i hope you understand my point , thanks

zahid ismail

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,125 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich to Paris

First, though the city of Zürich is wonderful and its old town very lovely it is not a place to spend two nights when you have so few at your disposal. If you arrive in the morning you can walk around the old town, down to the lakefront, along the Bahnhofstrasse etc in a few hours. you could then take a train to Luzern (1 hour away) and make that your HQ for your short stay.

From Luzern you can make day trips into the mountains. You could, I suppose, even stay at the top of Mt Rigi in the Rigi Kulm Hotel. But I would make day trips instead of moving hotels, if I were you. You can also visit Bern and Basel (both very lovely cities and both only an hour from Luzern) while based in Luzern.

If you want to see another part of the country, and are going to Paris you could spend 3 nights in Luzern and then take the Goldenpass train over to Montreux. Spend 2 nights there seeing something of French speaking Switzerland and the lake, plus the Château de Chillon, before heading to Paris via either Lausanne or Geneva.

Salmiya, Kuwait
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich to Paris

hmm great thank you so much you are making my trip easier :)

ok mam now i ll shorten my zurich trip to one and spend more time in luzern

i have one question now, i planned to go paris by car and wanted to take rent a car service from Zurich so how would u guide me here(the reason of taking car from zurich is coz of return flight from Zurich and best is to drop car here while coming back from paris-->frankfurt--> zurich )

So how would u guide me here after spending one night in zurich,shall i travel to montreux n stay one night there and then from montreux to luzern and spend 4 nights there and then back to zurich and take car for paris?

or should i skip montreux and spend more time in luzern and explore things around in 4 days?

Thanks you so much and sorry for any repeated question :)

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,125 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich to Paris

First - don't drive to Paris. It will take you more than twice as long as taking the train and driving in Paris is terrifying! Also you would have to park the car which is expensive, very expensive. And cars get damaged a lot in France and you would be responsibly to the rental company for that too!!

second - re-shuffle your trip: Start in Zürich. Then go to Luzern. Then to Montreux. (On the Goldenpass train) Then to Paris via either Lausanne OR Geneva. Montreux to Lausanne is 20mins. Lausanne to Paris is about 4hrs. Montreux to Geneva is an hour, roughly. Then Geneva to Paris is 3hrs. So it really doesn't matter which. Just pick a TGV that suits your schedule. Then from Paris take the train to Frankfurt OR fly to Frankfurt and from there back to Zürich via Basel. And DO stop off in Basel for a few hours. The centre of town is stunning!!

Salmiya, Kuwait
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich to Paris

really appreciate ,, thanks for the valuable info :)

7. Re: Zurich to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 09:46