We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of cabs in Zurich would

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of cabs in Zurich would

What are the cost of cabs in Zurich as I am in Zurich for a 7 hours and would like to make the best of it by not spending too much?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

Hi jamierod,

Most folks don't take taxis around Zürich because they are so expensive, and so unnecessary. The trams, busses, and trains can whisk you all around so easily and conveniently that taxis are truly unnecessary.

I once had to use a taxi from Zürich to get to the airport (a 15-minute ride on the train), and it cost over 50 chf. That was about 10 years ago, so it's probably higher now.

What are your plans for Zürich? Maybe we can help you sort out the public transportation for your visit.

s

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
16,887 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

S. is right. Taxis are very expensive so just get a day pass and you can hop on and off the public transportation incl trains and boats on the lake. You can see all the options at the Zurich visitors website

www.zuerich.ch

Look under the transportation link. If you want to go to museums as well, then get the Zurich card as it includes many things like that.

The day tickets are at

zvv.ch/en/…daypass-single.html

Hope this helps

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,116 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

I took a taxi for a 10 minute trip in Zürich city, and it cost 20frs.

The public transport is excellent and far cheaper. Unless you have a huge lot of luggage - use it!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

Thanks for you lovely reply (Swandav,kileymom, Hambagahle) I will take the train station from the airport, Could you also let me know what can I visit from 8:00 to 3:00 in the as I will be in Zurich on my layover to Amsterdam ( prefer seeing beautiful landscapes, river, other that museums). I heard the old town really nice, any place in specific we should visit in the old town?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,116 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

Take a look at what Oller, our DE for Zürich, has written - he knows the city like the back of his hand!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Presumably you will want to have lunch somewhere? Zürich has many old "Guild Houses" - Zunfthauser - and lots of these are very old, and are also restaurants. My two favourites are:

Zu Haue

Zimmerleuten

Both are on the Limmatquai so very centrallly located. Here is a link to an article on these old restaurants which will give you an idea of what they are and what they offer:-

files.gadmin.ch/40160…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

The above guide that Hambagahle links to is excellent: I used it for my time in Zurich. Depending on your pace, you might have time for a trip out to Uetliberg, which can give you a nice view of the surrounding landscape.

7. Re: Cost of cabs in Zurich would

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about Zurich