We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Ottawa
Level Contributor
48 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

I am looking at flights from Canada (YOW) to Madrid and the routes I've seen all involve a connection either in Zurich, Munich or Frankfurt. I am concerned about the connection times provided, which are all 45 to 50 minutes, except for one which is about three hours. I've looked at a list of minimum connection times and they all seem to be within the legal limit, but I do recall missing a "legal" connection at CDG(Paris) back in 2001, so I'm a bit anxious about connection times that are less than an hour. Does anyone have experience making connections at any of these three airports? If so, are the MCT realistic??

Thanks for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Hi, as long as you arrive on time, 45-50 minutes is probably fine for Zurich. I can't help you with Frankfurt or Munich. Zurich airport is fairly small and very efficient. Additionally, if you have a bit of time at the Zurich airport, there is a huge shopping center you could visit right in the airport (after you clear immigration and re-check your bags) as well as a lot of shops in the duty free zone. If you have 6 or 7 hours, it's very easy to put your carry-on in a lcoker and catch a train for the city center - it's only 12 minutes and the trains go every few minutes back and forth from the main train station. With a couple of hours in zurich, you can see quite a bit and it's well worth even a short visit.

If your flight is late and you miss your connection, the airlines will have to take care of getting you on the next available flight as long as you are traveling on a connecting flight ticket.

Hope this helps.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
48 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Thanks ...I will check what the exact connection times are again for Zurich and Munich. I know that both of these airports are efficient. It's been a long time since I've been to the Zurich airport...last time was in '99 I believe. I do remember it being smaller than the other two.

I've got plenty of time to decide what route I want to take so I'll just keep checking what's available.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Frankfurt Airport is enormous, I would allow extra time. Esp if there is some sudden security issue that pops up. I have been there many times and one time I had to get on 2 buses to 2 terminal security check points as a check-in procedure due to something they didn't tell us about. Always go for more rather than too tight as you will be a wreck. And airlines won't always accommodate you these days.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,200 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Hi buskingtraveller

Did you check direct flights from Air Canada and Swiss International Airlines to Zurich. They seem both to be pretty inexpensive.

pore

Ottawa
Level Contributor
48 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

Yes, I've looked at those....I agree, prices are very decent.

I've decided to opt for a longer connection time since we're going to have one suitcase that will be checked-in plus a musical instrument, which we would much prefer arrive at the same time as we do :))

I think that the flight route that would best suit our needs, despite landing at the largest airport, would be YOW-FRA, and then FRA-MAD. This route has a three-hour connection time. That route is more expensive, but not by much, plus it involves only one connection instead of two. I think that this route would definitely be the least stressful.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

That sounds like a good plan. You will need the extra time. Also with your instrument, you may need more time as I believe in Frankfurt, it will come out is a different place than the other luggage. So look for it at the big/odd sized luggage (or some name like that).

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

In spring we had a flight from Miami to Munich to Zurich. We had only a connection time of 30 minutes. Our plane was anyway about 2 hours too late, so our connection was away. But 30 minutes seems to me the absolut minimum time for Munich. But with 50 minutes you can do it.

8. Re: Connection times for Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 10:47