We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel for solo traveler

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
381 posts
82 reviews
78 helpful votes
Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

Hello; I am an experienced solo female traveler, in my 70’s, looking for a well-located nice hotel for a short stay in August. I will be meeting other family members at Zurich airport two or three days after I arrive.

I would like to be within walking distance (1-2 km) of places of cultural and scenic interest, shopping, and bistros/restaurants. Budget per night is approximately $300/270 CHF.

Any recommendations appreciated - thank you!

Best value hotels in Zurich
B2 Boutique Hotel + Spa
B2 Boutique Hotel + Spa
#5 of 138 hotels in Zurich
Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
#1 of 138 hotels in Zurich
Hotel Helmhaus
Hotel Helmhaus
#7 of 138 hotels in Zurich
12 replies to this topic
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

We have loved staying at the Sorell Hotel Rutli, about a 5 min. walk from the train station and right on the edge of old town. Rooms were a little small; the hotel has undergone renovation since we stayed there. I think it would be well under your budget.

2. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2021, 08:57

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
53,016 posts
228 reviews
365 helpful votes
3. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

I second the idea of the Schweizerhof. It is, though, a 5 star and might be more than your budget but the location is excellent. Another hotel I just love in Zürich is the Storchen. Rooms there start around 400frs. It is right on the Limmat river, next to the Rathaus (town hall). Very easy to get to and from.

The Zürich Marriott is not bad though it is a very "American style" hotel - purpose built, AC, windows that do not open. It is an 800m walk from the station or an easy bus ride.

Cheaper (3 star) is the hotel Adler in the old town. No AC but comfortable rooms. Noise level in summer might be high.

You should look at www.zuerich.com to get a listing of all the hotels. You can then choose by date of travel, price/star range and each description comes with a little map.

Edited: 17 January 2021, 19:24
4. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2021, 08:57

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,543 posts
8 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

You might take a look at the Wellenberg. It's in the Old Town near the Adler but, in my experience, a bit more individual in style. Lovely staff and a good breakfast . Like you, I am a solo traveler in my 70;s.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
53,016 posts
228 reviews
365 helpful votes
6. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

The Wellenberg is in a good location...and right now it is showing single rooms (they will be small!) with breakfast included for 185frs for late April. 185frs is almost $210 US a night but still well within your price range.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
381 posts
82 reviews
78 helpful votes
7. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

I will check that one out - thank you very much!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,543 posts
8 reviews
37 helpful votes
8. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

I'm not sure about all single rooms at the Wellenberg but I've stayed there several times and haven't thought the rooms to be particularly small.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
53,016 posts
228 reviews
365 helpful votes
9. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

According to their website (which is where I saw the rate originally ) single rooms are 16m2. That is small - around 160 sq.ft I think.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
381 posts
82 reviews
78 helpful votes
10. Re: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Save

I don’t plan to spend much time in my room, so a compact space isn’t a problem!

Reply to: Nice hotel for solo traveler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.