We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Montreux

We are traveling from Paris to montreux in the beginning of October this year for 2 days

How are we best to get there?

What is there to do?

We are in our 50s, enjoy walking, shopping and sightseeing

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux

Hi Robby160,

The best way is to take the fast-train TGV from Paris to Geneva or Lausanne, then continue on to Montreux. You can get terrific discounts on the trip if you buy one of the advanced-purchase fares that go on sale about 90 days early. Mark your calendar and be ready to buy! You can buy at one of these sites,

www.voyages-sncf.fr (if you can speak French)

www.tgv-europe.com

Here are links to my "reviews" (w/photos) of my favorite things to do based from Montreux:

Montreux old town

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Lavaux

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d669…

(the vineyards of the Lavaux are particularly wonderful in the fall)

Promenade Fleuri

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Morges

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198828-r408…

Gruyeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198820-r408…

Saanen

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Gstaad

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Have fun as you plan!

s

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux

Hi Robby

As you enjoy walking, sightseeing and shopping, I can strongly recommend you a daytrip with the Goldenpass to the region of Gstaad. Maybe you travel till final station Zweisimmen. In Zweisimmen you can do a lot off great walking (Sparenmoos trails, Seebergsee trails and Rinderberg) See http://www.gstaad.ch/zweisimmen. Most famous is to take the cable car beside the train station to the Rinderberg and walk the scenic walk of about 2.5 hours to the Horneggli. It's an easy mountain walk with a great panorama of a lot off the Bernese Oberland peaks. Don't miss to have a break at the mountain Restaurant Hornfluh or Hornberg. At the Horneggli cable car you can easy get back to the valley. Take the train to Gstaad and do sightseeing (and shopping) in the exclusive promenade of Gstaad.

More info: http://www.gstaad.ch

Enjoy your stay in Switzerland.

pb

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux

Thanks a lot for that hiking suggestion, pb! I'll be in Gstaad for 10 days in August (Menuhin Fest), and I'm looking for good hikes. This one sounds great! I appreciate it!!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreux

Here's my list of fun things to do in and around Montreux - lots and lots of fun:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188108-c134821/Montr…

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreux

@swandav: sorry for off topic. but let me know if you need more. i know plenty off it. :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreux

Hi swandav and zweissimann..

Apologies for posting in someone else's thread...but pls can u help me with my montreux activities..will be there from 7th to 11th april 2013...we wud like to see gruyeres..choc factory..rochers de naye..bern..gstaad..pls help in adding and clubbing the places..

Thabks a lot..really really looking forward to your revert

Rishkuk1

Edited: 01 April 2013, 17:08
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreux

Hi rishkuk,

I'm not sure what you mean by "adding and clubbing" the places.

All you need to do is buy a train ticket and hop on the train and go!

You can use the Swiss rail site to get all the train schedules and fares:

www.sbb.ch

You can see Montreux and Rochers-de-Naye in one day, and you can see Gruyeres and the Chocolate Factory on one day, and you can see Gstaad and Bern in one day. You should also consider spending time in the lovely town of Vevey, with its old town and the beautiful walk along the lake to La Tour-de-Peilz.

Let us know if you need more information!

s

8. Re: Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 11:46