We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Level Contributor
43 posts
Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Hi

My family of 2 adults and 1 pre-teen (12years) are in Lausanne for 3 days as a part of our 3 week trip to Switzerland this August. Need the forum's help in constructing a day trip from Lausanne to Gruyeres + Broc for the cheese and chocolate maison visits.

We will have the Swiss Travel pass with the free Family card for my son. My understanding from this forum is that the Chocolate train is too touristy and not good value, esp. since we will have the Swiss pass.

Since the chocolate factory has long queues in summer, we were planning to first go there and then to Gruyeres. As per the SBB this means a journey like this :-

Lausanne - Palezieux - Bulle- Broc Fabrique (2 hr 17 mins)

Moreover there are engineering works between Lausanne to Chexbres at the time - so part of the Lausanne - Pelezieux journey will be by bus with limited seating and tight connections. So in sum I have to make 3 connections to reach Broc, some of them quite tight.

The Broc to Gruyeres journey is thankfully easy though only once an hour.

So my first query is whether an alternate way to make this journey makes sense? Eg via Montreux and Montbovon... This too has 3 connections to make but at least none caused by roadworks, so hopefully no delays.

Lausanne - Montreux - Montbovon - Bulle- Broc Fabrique (2 hr 11 mins)

The second query is whether this alternate route is fully covered by our pass (especially the golden pass part)? SBB says that reservations are recommended for that part?

The third query is whether it's even worth it to try to do the Cailler factory first to avoid the afternoon queues there.If I just go to Gruyeres first then the connections become simpler. I also read on the cheese factory website that to see the actual cheese making process I should reach there by 11!

Needed the forum's suggestion on this day trip's itinerary and journey plan please...

7 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

There was quite a discussion on that subject just a few days ago at TA forum - see https:/…92609028

From Lausanne you can travel via Palézieux for train via Châtel-Saint-Denis - but also train to Romont (via Palézieux) for faster train to Bulle.

Other option is via Vevey, bus up to Châtel-Saint-Denis to catch the train to Gruyères. And of course the Montreux detour for first part of Golden Pass route to Montbovon.

See zoomable map.trafimage.ch - unfortunately postal bus routes are not displayed.

And maybe check the travel times - all the itineraries I found are shorter than what you wrote (?)

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

jm2cents

The OP is travelling in August. Timetable is different then because of the works between Lausanne and Puidoux-Chexbres. The Lausanne train goes to to Palézieux by making a detour into and up out of Vevey.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Ok - have seen now that some chaos is scheduled from July 7, 2018 04:00 to August 27, 2018 04:00 on that railway section.

Then I would chose the route via Montreux, Montbovon, return via scenic bus trip Châtel-Saint-Denis to Vevey. With an early train possible to be at Broc-Fabrique at 9:28 - Cailler chocolate factory opens for visit at 10. I would rather start with the 9:00 cheese production in Gruyères (next to the railway station, in fact in Pringy), leave early enough to be at Cailler chocolate factory before noon.

Or use a car.

Level Contributor
43 posts
4. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Thank you jm2cents and swissaholic. Your replies were a big help. We will take the route via Montreux then...

Is that route entirely covered by the Swiss pass? And do you recommend we make reservations for the MOB section of the journey, as suggested by SBB?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

The route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Reservations are not neccessary for this short section of Golden Pass line.

Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Thanks Swissaholic. Really appreciate the help.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,171 posts
201 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help

Not only is the train covered 100% by the STP but so is admission to the Maison Cailler chocolate factory, the Demonstration Cheese Factory in Gruyères and the Giger museum and the château also in Gruyères (but both in the medieval hilltop village.) You do not need the Chocolate Train!

So - Lausanne/Montreux (20mins). Montreux/Montbovon/Broc Fabrique for the Maison Cailler and then to Gruyères and back to Lausanne via Montbovon and Montreux...

Reply to: Day trip to Broc and Gruyeres - need help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lausanne