We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vineyard tours

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
vineyard tours

I am looking for more information about doing a vineyard day trip from Lausanne on March 5th 2018. I have been looking at information online and am confused. I see there are a few different areas ti go to. What vineyard area is best for doing wine tasting? What is the best way to get there? We will have the Swiss pass. I saw that there was a train tour with tasting but can't get any further information about the location of pick up, price, length of time, or if tickets are needed in advance. Any information would be great. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: vineyard tours

The closest area to Lausanne is Lavaux - whether it's the 'best' is hard to say.

You typically do wine tastings in wine cellars, not vineyards. Not all of them are open all the time. The Lavaux growers' association website lists the premises open each day: lavaux-unesco.ch/en/N9394/fancy-a-wine-tasti… Do double-check before setting out that they're open and have capacity for you. Also check they're accessible by public transport (or rent a car). I recommend you take a bottle or two home if you like them, as many are not exported.

If you want to visit a vineyard, go through the above site or you could try contacting the tourist office in Lausanne https://www.lausanne-tourisme.ch They may know about the train tour you refer to. However you may be disappointed in March, as the vines are small and scrubby with little if any green showing, and no grapes. If you want to do a tour, check whether advance booking is required - some close booking before the tour date, so you won't be able to book on the day.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: vineyard tours

Do any of the vineyards have wine cellars on premise? I am used to the California vineyards taht have the tasting rooms on site.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,133 posts
201 reviews
3. Re: vineyard tours

Things are done differently here - normally the wine tastings are free but you are expected to buy wines from the grower. There are though some places you can go and try various wines from the same area. You just pay a small amount (15frs or so) to do so.

The Lavaux vineyards are the closest to Lausanne but honestly the wine there is not great. (The vinyards themselves are beautiful though!) If you want to do a tasting there go to the Vinorama in Rivaz. Take a local train from Lausanne headed to Villeneuve and get off at Rivaz. WAlk to the vinorama -

www.lavaux-vinorama.ch

Far better wines - in fact the best in the entire country - are grown in the Valais. These wines regularly win international competitions, often beating even French wines. There is a new place in the Valais where you can taste a variety of wines -

les Celliers de Sion www.celliers.ch (site is I think only in French...if you are stuck with this either use Google translate or post what you need to know and I can tell you) You get there by bus from the Sion station - bus 4 bound for Uvrier. Get off at "Batassé", The cave is a 5 mins walk from there.

If you want to go to individual caves and taste their wines you need a car. I can suggest some growers who speak some English but I prefer to do this by PM rather than post here...

2 posts
1 review
4. Re: vineyard tours

I am interested in private wine tours and possibly cave tasting etc. Are there any small travel companies that arrange this type visit?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,133 posts
201 reviews
5. Re: vineyard tours

Maybe - but I have never heard of any.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: vineyard tours

There are a few companies, on the more expensive side ......

Check for instance www.swissrivierawinetours.com/wine-tours - or for eastern Switzerland (yes, there also are vineyards and winemakers) https://wine-tours.ch

For Ticino the only I am aware is a hotel that can help for tours - https:/…wine-cellars.html

But as Hambagahle explained: wine buyers taste wines before buying. Vineyard owners and winegrowers in Switzerland concentrate on making wine - most of vineyards are small, have no dedicated staff and infrastructure for wine tasting or tours many of the big companies in some other countries offer. Top quality wine makers in Switzerland have often enough all the production bought by regular customers. I know I few that have their annual production sold ahead of time .... .

At https://www.swissfinewine.ch/en/regions you can find an impressive number of vineyards with details (to click through) such as possible wine tasting. But list is definitely not exhausting - some of my preferred winemakers are not in that database.

Also lots of general information on wines in Switzerland at https://weinbranche.swisswine.ch/en (not all pages translated to english)

Reply to: vineyard tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lausanne