We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

In the past, if you were injured or sick and could not ski, you were given a refund on your lift pass upon presentation of a doctor's note. No more! Now, you must buy insurance for the lift pass at the same time you buy the pass. The cost varies depending on the number of days skiing, but assume CHF 3 per day. The ticket seller is supposed to tell you about the insurance, but if they do not, and you become sick or injured, you lose the money. Awful!

28 replies to this topic
rhode island
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

Legal, I believe the cost is 5 Francs per day. I was not informed when I purchased my ticket but a friend was. Very sporadic apparently. I hope your skiing has not been interrupted!

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

The 5 was for a 9 day (straight) ticket.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,965 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

There's part of me that says they need to get a signed release that the person was told about the insurance when they bought the lift ticket and declined.....now that's what would happen often here in the US because the ski area would get sued otherwise!

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

I don't think it's automatically assumed by all skiers in all resorts that you'll get the money back on unused days if you're unable to ski due to illness or injury. I don't know what the policy is in other resorts. Gotlegal is right to point out the change in policy here in Zermatt.

Much like the removal of the seniors reduction on lift tickets, this smacks of simply trying to increase revenue. Especially as the cost of the insurance is so high.

One can buy full medical cover (the claim on which could run into several thousand francs) for a few francs. I think it was 9chf per day last winter? 5chf per day to insure a lift pass is ridiculous.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

I never knew such an inplicit or explicit insurance existed. I have always assumed that if you could not continue skiing that his was just bad luck. Happened to me once in France.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,965 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

I would also assume that an injury or illness was simply hard luck in terms of the lift pass. I had heard that Zermatt will refund it but not until several years after I took out my knee on the 2nd day of a 10 day trip...oh, well.

The price for the insurance does seem high.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

It is totally unnecessary, if people get hurt or sick they should get some compensation. Perhaps a flurry of messages to the Tourist Office would help!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,896 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

Many years ago I did get a refund on my Zermatt ski pass when I fell and twisted something and could not ski for a couple of days. We had to find an obscure office AND bring a doctor's certificate AND be able to speak German too as no one in the office spoke English. Times have changed.... I think the insurance is a good idea - if one's own insurance policies doesn't cover it. Here in CH most of us are insured by the Touring Club or Rega or Air Glacier for problems like this caused by injury so I can see why it should be a voluntary thing. That said, everyone buying a ski pass in Zermatt should be told before paying for it that they have this option and that without it there is no refund.

Hopefully we will never get to the point here in Switzerland where signed releases are needed...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,965 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

That was a somewhat sarcastic reflection by the lawyer in me, H. Hence, the 'part of me' qualification. I certainly do not want to see the growth of needing to protect from a potential lawsuit that has become the norm here in the US!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware

Hamba, we carry Rega as well, but it does not cover a lift pass refund. We know for certain that when you buy a lift pass you may or may not be told about the new policy about no refund without buying insurance. That is unfair, especially to regular visitors who assume the old refund policy still exists.

Reply to: Lift Pass Insurance--Beware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted