We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken to Venice by rail

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Interlaken to Venice by rail

Hi,

I will be traveling from Interlaken to Venice. I have a Eurail saver pass for both, Switzerland and Italy. I'm not sure how to go about my travel though. Is it just a matter of hopping on the trains at Interlaken, Spiez, Brig and then to Venice?

Do my Swiss & Italian rail passes cover this trip or do I need to pay separately for this journey? Also, do I need to make reservations for this route and how can one make reservations? I would be grateful for your inputs.

Regards,

Hoz

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

You don't need reservations in Switzerland, but the direct express trains to and within Italy do require one. You simply go to the counter, explain your situation (in a larger station there will surely be somebody there speaking english) and ask for a reservation where necessary. Will cost around 15 Fr for the way to Venice.

south africa
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

Hi I will be travelling from Interlaken to Venice and then back from Venice to Zurich in December. When and where can I book my tickets,.... is it worthwile buying a pass. Can I buy the tickets on internet? I am from South

Africa. Can anybody help and give advice!!

Thanks,

Ria Basson

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

>> riaSouthAfrica <<

You can purchase tickets to / from Italy in advance from the SBB website and take advantage of the SMART1 and SMART2 fares. The tickets can be picked-up at a station in Switzerland.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Seat reservations are mandatory in Italy and would be included in the fare. When traveling with a rail pass you would have to make and pay for seat reservations.

Here is a summary of the Italy tickets offers.

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…italien-angebote.htm

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

You don't need to reserve your journey from Interlaken to Milan (via Visp), but you do need to reserve your journey from Milan to Venice. It will be a long journey, so if you have spare time, why don't you stay in Milan for 1 night just to have a feel of the place? The duomo (church) is beautiful!

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

I just did this train trip. I used an Italian travel agent to get my tickets from Venice to Milan. Send me PM I can share the contact information. We took the 8:55 Train out of Venice to Milan (11:25). Then an 11:25 train to from Milan to Brig. From Brig we went to Spiez. From Spiez to Interlaken Ost. From Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen.

I bought my tickets from Milan to Interlaken in Rome at the train station. You cannot buy international tickets from kiosk. It was one of our best train journeys. Get a picnic in Venice or in Milan. Enjoy

south africa
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

Thanks dougb for the information. How long before can you buy the tickets? Thanks again

south africa
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

Hi WindyCity,

Thankyou for all the info. I would really like all the info I can get if you can e-mail it to me. We will be in Switzerland from the 16Dec until the 26th then onto Venice until 29th returning to Zurich again by train. my e-mail is riabasson@vodamail.co.za Thanks Ria Basson

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

Have sent you a PM. Please review and let me know. Best, WindyCity_injuin

9. Re: Interlaken to Venice by rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 09:45