We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland trip

Dresden, Germany
6 posts
Switzerland trip

Hello Everyone,

I with my sisters will travelling to switzerland. We will be reaching to Zürich on 8th of August at 5:30 am and will stay till 10 of August. We would like to visit Jungfrau Alpes.

What would be the best place to stay in order to visit Jungfrau? I.e Grindelwald ?

What would be most economical way to travel within switzerland ? Shall we buy passes?

Many Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Switzerland trip

Even arriving early on August 8 - you just have 3 days for your vacation (by the way: how do you arrive at 05:30 in Zurich - no flights allowed before 06:00 and not many trains arriving that early (?))

If Jungfrau area is your main priority then yes, Grindelwald is a good base - or smaller Lauterbrunnen lower in the valley, Mürren or Wengen "traditional" villages at higher altitude. You are kind of late, accommodation offer might be limited for in a few days at some of the places.

Travel in Switzerland tends to be expensive, especially for longer distances and mountain trains and cable cars. There is no pass covering ideally all places and trips, "best" pass or pass combination will depend on trips.

Check https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/ for ticket prices (without or with passes) - especially https:/…bergbahn

And you are also late for getting low priced Saver Day Passes for traveling from Zurich to Bernese Oberland.

Check for Switzerland forum discussions on passes and tickets when traveling in Bernese Oberland.

Dresden, Germany
6 posts
2. Re: Switzerland trip

Thanks for the reaponse. I came across a place for stay which is located at Brienzwiler . Is that a good choice to stay?

And furthermore what you mean by late for savor tickets?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
195 reviews
3. Re: Switzerland trip

Brienzwiler sounds perfect. It’s actually part of a Swiss Heritage site. You are almost part of the Ballenberg museum, which simplifies deciding what to do for one of your days. Travel to there from Zurich on the train via Lucerne, then bus or taxi for the final bit from Brienz.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
4. Re: Switzerland trip

Brienzwiler has a railway station take the train from Luzern to Meiringen and then the train to Brienzwiler. However depending on where the accommodation is the station may not be near it.

Reply to: Switzerland trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald