We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren

California
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

I've been to Murren a couple of times. Beautiful walking that path or taking that train.

Isenfluh bills itself for being off the beaten path, with panorama of the 3 big peaks.

Is it a better view from Isenfluh or Sulwald than from Murren?

Certainly Isenfluh sounds more difficult to reach. I'm assuming the Postbus isn't as convenient as going up the cable car to Grutschalp.

Is there enough parking up in Isenfluh?

8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
74 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

It was easy to take the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Isenfluh, and then the cablecar to Sulwald.

Not at all difficult to reach.

We then walked up to Lobhornhutte.

Fantastic walk, varied, with a great lunch spot at the end. Wonderful views. We returned same way, but some walkers veered off to Grutschalp.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
74 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

Can’t seem to link the photos, sorry

Edited: 22 August 2021, 15:35
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
12,679 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

There is parking in Isefluh, but as with all parking in the area it is a) paying and b) tends to fill up early. So start your day early. Or leave the car at home :-)

One a nice sunny day it is not uncommon for all the parkings to be already full by 9.

Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
31 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

Having been both places dozens of times, IMO the views from Sulwald are the best in the entire region. The cable car ride up is unique and enjoyable. Be aware that payment is required, last time I was there is was 8 CHF or so per person. As it is a private car no transport passes are accepted. The car deposits you at Sulwald Stübli (https://www.sulwald.ch/) where you can take in the panorama from the patio. The food is divine, especially the hazelnut cake which the owner makes nearly every day. Occasionally on weekends there are local events there. Like hiking boot tossing contests and things. It's a spot not to be missed.

Unless you are on a very tight schedule why not do both?

California
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
5. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

OK, just worried the Postbus won't run often enough.

I will probably buy the Berner Oberland pass so I believe that will over transport from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and the Postbus.

And a 3 CHF discount on the cable car to Sulwald.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
74 reviews
68 helpful votes
6. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

Don’t know why my photos won’t link, but here’s my report from 2019

https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/our-month-in-switzerland-1668229/

With links to all photos in that album, plus day 6 was our Isenfluh day.

California
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
7. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

Lovely pictures.

Looking forward to seeing many of the same places.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
12,679 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Save

The postbus to Isenfluh does indeed not run very often, but it is synchronised with the times of the train in Lauterbrunnen, so it is a seamless experience, as usual. You can find the times using the SBB app or website.

What many people do is walk Sulwald - Lobhornhutte - Grütschalp (or vv.). Lobhornhutte is one of our favourites, and we try to be there at least once every summer.

Reply to: Isenfluh/Sulwald or Grutschalp/Murren
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.