We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to ski resorts

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich to ski resorts

I have a 5 day window after a business trip to Zurich and am keen to maximize my time skiing.

Am seeking tips on klosters,Davos,flims or any other resort within 3 hours of Zurich by public transport.

If anyone can recommend a local travel agent who could put together a ski pass,transport and hotel package for 1/1 to 6/1 that would be great.

I assume there will be plenty of snow but I may need to pay higher prices for that time of year.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

gsebire

I think you may struggle at this late stage to find accomodation as you are looking at one of the busiest weeks of the ski season and from the many posts on the alpine forum's trying to get a room for less than a week could prove problematic to say the least. The other factor in your equation is what appears to be a single room requirement.

Good luck

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Ok - I recommend SBB - the swiss trains site.

sbb.ch/en/…hotels.html

A quick search offers Hotel Regina in Grindelwald from 1/1 to 6/1 or the Hotel Cresta Sun in Davos. You can buy train tickets from this site, lift pass can be bought very easily in the resort.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Hi, no need to "pay" a travel agent! You can easily book this yourself. Decide where you want to ski, go on the village's website to find a hotel (expect to pay premium prices - it is a very high season week you need), book your hotel and then look for a sport shop (email the hotel if necessary) and reserve your equipment if you need to rent equipment. This is one of the weeks when I would say that it is a good idea to reserve your equipment.

You can easily pick up the train ticket to the ski area when you are in Zurich and the lift pass once you are in the village.

Most Swiss ski areas have their own websites that are

www.village name.ch (example www.zermatt.ch)

If you have trouble findiing the website, the Swiss Tourism office website for English speaking visitors has them all.

www.myswitzerland.com

Just about any resort in Swtizerland fits the idea of about 3 hours from Zurich. Which one you'd enjoy the most depends on what sort of skiing, apres ski, etc. you like. If you want to give us a bit more information, we can make some suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

As you said any ski resort there are direct trains from Zürich to St Anton am Arlberg in Austria. The train station is in the middle of the town/village.

You can also ski the Lech ski area on the same pass. There is a skibus round from Stuben to Zürs. St Anton more for the experienced skier

www.stantonamarlberg.com

www.oebb.at for Austrian rail

Austrians and Swiss Rail cooperate on ticketing/services/info

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Ok,I get into Zurich about noon on 1/1 after leaving melbourne 30 hours earlier.

I will catch a train to any resort which is recommended .i am a middle aged guy traveling alone so will book a single room .some nightlife would be good,but I'm not looking for a wild partying town.

Main objective is to ski blue and black runs non stop for 4 days then head back on 5/1.

Can I get a transfer direct to these resorts from the airport railway station or do I need to change .

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

"Main objective is to ski blue and black runs non stop for 4 days then head back on 5/1."

And what about Reds. Have you skied Europe before??

Your biggest problem wherever you choose will be getting accommodation for your dates. Hoteliers will be wanting 29 Dec - 5th Jan

FROM THE AIRPORT

Depends where you are going. Some Intercity services start at the airport some others you need to take the S-Bahn ot the Hauptbahnhof (main train station)

The S-Bahn only takes ~ 13mins from the Airport to the Hauptbahnhof

As an example Zürich Airport to St Anton takes 2h40 with one change (Zürich Hauptbahnhof)

St Anton is more of an advanced resort although there are some easier runs. Popular because of off-piste capabilities. Has good apres ski - bit of a party town.

Lech/Zürs linked by skibus from Stuben is a bit more sedated. Tends o be a lt of the middle-aged furcoat brigade.

You can use Swiss rail to show overall connections to a swiss resort from Zürich Airport. It will also show bus connections.

e.g. Zürich Airport to

Zermatt ~ 3h30 and 1 change

Grindelwald ~ 3h and 2 or 3 changes

there are many others to choose from

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Hi, gsebire, I think you would love Zermatt IF you can find a room. As you are one, you might get a cancellation but ....I think I would get onto the Zermatt website (or whereeve area you choose) now and see if you can find a room.

Zermatt is a huge area and has on skis connections over to Cervinia and Valtourneche in Italy. There's enough black and some black black and tons of reds (intermediate), many of which would be black here in the US, There aren't any greens because they don't use that rating and a decent number of blues that would be reds here as well as some true blues (easy).

The train to Zermatt leaves Zurich airport at 40 minutes past the hour and you have a change in Visp (required of all trains other than the Glacier Express fro St. Moritz). The change is a quick change of platform but if you have a lot of gear to carry (it takes too much time to find a luggage trolley as the change is about 6 or 7 minutes), then there is another train in no more than a hour so it's not a huge problem. Your hotel will probably send their electric car to collect you at the station or there will be electric taxis.

If you have trouble finiding accommodation, consider staying in Tasch (the last village on the train before Zermatt) as it's only 10 minutes by train and the trains run from early in the AM until quite late. The Zeratt website has hotels for both.

www.zermatt.ch/en

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Reds are fine

Are there any other resorts closer to Zurich.

Ive heard about flumserberg, davos ,grindelwald

Are they closer and worth trying?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

see here tripadvisor.com/…45507662

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich to ski resorts

Flumserberg is closer by about 1.5 hours than the others but by comparison has much less ski area. Davos and Grindelwald are about the same travel time as Zermatt. It's hard to get to a decent sized (more than what we in No. American would call a local hill) in less than 3 hours.

Zermatt is famous for its reds but many other resorts in Switzerland have great intermediate skiing.

You can get all the info on Flumserberg at

www.flumserberg.ch

and the train timetables in English for all areas at

www.sbb.ch/en

Hope this helps.