We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

bangalore
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

Hi,

Was planning to take the Glacier Express train in the month of December(last week), Require few suggestions:

Would be landing in Zurich,

1. Which would be the nearest point to start St. Moritz or Zermatt.

2. How do I reach the nearest point from Zurich as I would be dependent on public transport, and approx cost.

3. As I would be taking the trip in Winter, which sector of the trip(i.e: St. Moritz - Brig; St. Moritz - Andermatt; is really worth taking or do I need to take the entire stretch to experience the beauty.

4. Which station enroute has a good(frequent) connectivity to reach Zurich.

Would be grateful for your answers.

Kind regards,

MMB

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

Hi,

There isn't one answer that is right for everyone. It really depends on what you plan for your time in Switzerland and how much time you have in all.

One consideration is the GE from St Moritz to Zermatt leaves and arrives earlier than the other direction, so in December better daylight at the end of your journey.

If you are considering long journeys, you might benefit from a Swiss flexi pass. If travelling with someone you can get a saver with 15% discount.

I find the stretch between St Moritz and Andermatt most attractive, but the approach to Zermatt is also lovely.

Edited: 25 November 2012, 06:16
Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

You should really have some type of travel pass have a look at www.swisstravelsystem.com.

In order not to duplicate your route head to St Moritz via Lanquart and Klosters www.rail.ch

You may want to spend one day in the Albula valley, if you take the train from St Moritz to Berguen and visit the new railway museum there.

The road between Preda and Berguen is turned into a sledging track during winter you can hire a sledge and if you have a rail pass the number of trips is unlimited.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

First problem I see is the timing of your trip. Getting a hotel room for a night or two at the end of December in any ski resort, let alone one of the "biggies" like Zermatt or St Moritz is going to be very very hard. At that time of year hotels require a week's booking and sometimes longer. So I think you are going to have to adapt your trip to suit where you will stay.

To me, the most beautiful stretch of the GE is between Andermatt and Chur. The train crosses the wild, desolate Oberalp pass reaching an altitude of around 2000m+. then it runs down the Sursilva valley past Disentis with its huge and ancient benedictine monastery and finally runs through the Rhine gorges. If you wanted to do this stretch then you would need to get to Chur (about 90mins from Zürich airport) around noon. You would then get to Andermatt in the mid afternoon and could change there for a train to Luzern, for example... OR you could travel from Chur on to Brig (also very lovely part of the line as it runs through the cross country skiing areas of the Ober Goms valley) and spend the night in Brig. You could then make a day trip to Zermatt the following day. Note that in December days are short and it makes no sense to take the GE all the way to Zermatt if you are not staying there for the night as you will arrive well after dark and thus see no views!

the other option is to go to Brig from the Zürich airport, spend the night, and catch the GE to chur the next day. Again no point in going on to St Moritz unless you have a hotel booked there - anyway the last hour or more of the ride in December is in the dark.

Look at the schedule - www.glacierexpress.ch - and see what makes sense to you. Also the normal train schedules on www.sbb.ch/en In fact this site will also give you the GE schedule and you will need to put in "Via Andermatt" to get the times. the symbol for the GE on this schedule is "D". Both sites will give you the costs...

bangalore
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

Thank you all for the valueable information.

I shall get back this forum if Istill have question on my trip.

Kind Regards,

MMB

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

> the symbol for the GE on this schedule is "D".

Now shown as GEX.

6. Re: Glacier Express Trip in Winter(December end)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:47