We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Lucerne Train

sydney
2 posts
Save Topic
Milan to Lucerne Train

We are travelling from Milan to Lucerne by train and have the following questions.

1:Can this ticket be purchased online with Swiss Rail.

2: When do you go through the border and customs on this train and does it affect connections.

3:Do you change trains at Lugano.

Thanks in advance

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,756 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Lucerne Train

>1:Can this ticket be purchased online with Swiss Rail.

Yes.

>2: When do you go through the border and customs on this train and does it affect connections.

You don´t.

Both Switzerland and Italy are members of the Schengen Agreement.

>3:Do you change trains at Lugano.

See www.sbb.ch

If you have to change trains it will rather be at Arth-Goldau.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Lucerne Train

In the last time Italian trains had so much delays that the Swiss rail started to use own train for the Swiss part. So it can happen that you have to change train (I'm not sure if it's Chiasso or Lugano) even it's not indicated on the timetables. However they announce it in the train and you can always ask other people in the train.

If your train is late it might happen, that you miss your connection in Switzerland. But that is not such as big deal as at least an hour later there is the next train waiting for you.

Carmichael, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Lucerne Train

i also have a question about this route...I am taking the overnight train from Rome to Milan (which has already been reserved). I rather stupidly didn't reserve my train from Milan to Arth-Goldau. I can't figure out how to reserve online - and although I have tried repeatedly to call SBB via Skype + my cell, the number isn't working. I have got a Eurail pass.

Question: Can I book the Milan to Arth-Goldau route at the Rome or Milan train station? (I will be leaving night of the 12th, need the Milan-Arth Goldau on the 13th, so it won't be very far ahead!). Can i book it on the train if worse comes to worse/pay onboard?

4. Re: Milan to Lucerne Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 11:48