We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to go for hiking

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best month to go for hiking

I know the weather in the alps is unpredictable. But what months would you say I would have the best chance of dry and sunny days to hike around.

4 replies to this topic
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month to go for hiking

Hi outsiders111

As you post on the Lucerne forum I think you would be based at the Lucerne area, are you?

At the Lucerne area mid-May to mid-October are the best time for hiking. At higher destinations this will be different. During the summer months there may be thunderstorms in the evening. As you say, weather is never predictable more than 2 or 3 days in advance.

Did you look at the Top Questions about Switzerland (right hand side of your screen on the TA website)? There is information about our climate and much more.

pore

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month to go for hiking

Hi Pore

To be more specific. Higher destinations in the daytime for hiking MT. Rigi and MT. Pilatus,

also hiking in Murren near Interlaken, Any better months for day time hiking for weather? I will read the top questions. I just wanted to get your opinion.

Thank you

paris london
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month to go for hiking

Mid to late June is best for alpine flowers and butterflies. By the end of July flowers look tired. July and August are the most popular months and typically the warmest and driest. June and September are much quieter.

In all of these months, most days should be mostly sunny. But you could have a week of rain any time. No guarantees. You need to be prepared for rain whenever you travel.

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month to go for hiking

Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus may be OK at the end of June if the paths are dry. I say so because from time to time it happens that hikers fall because the path was slippery. There are even deaths some times.

Nobody can know what the consequences of the actual weather can be in spring or early summer. There are not only huge avalanges around but also earth and stone slides even in Central Switzerland. Which paths got damaged can not be seen now but only when the snow is gone.

Sorry, actually it is not possible to say if and where you can go hiking in June. I would say September would be the better option for this year.

I would like to add that this is an exceptional situation. Switzerland did not get so much snow since about 20 years.

pore

Reply to: Best month to go for hiking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted