We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal prices

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Meal prices

Going next week. What might we expect to pay for 3 course meal for 2 with a bottle of wine? Nowhere super posh, the sort of place you could go into wearing smart casual wear.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal prices

In a pizzeria - about 60-70frs depending on what you order. This includes tax and service. (Service is included in ALL restaurant and bar prices here - we only tip if we get really good service and then only a franc or two).

In a nice but not "over the top" restaurant - up to 150frs.

For wine - we have excellent Swiss wines for you to try. And you can buy all wine by the "déci" or 1/10th of a litre measure. So if you want a glass of white with the starter, then red with the main - no problem. It is also a great way of trying various wines. Just ask for the open wines (usually they are listed on the wine menu).

As for dress - these days in Switzerland you can go just about anywhere in smart casual wear...

Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal prices

I think you would struggle to get a meal for 2 with a bottle of wine for chf60-70 in a pizzeria. I think H meant each? Chf150 would be the expensive end of 3 courses on the same basis (ie each).

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal prices

Hi CMSKernow

I agree with Hambagahle. The Prices she indicates are pretty usual in Lucerne. Maybe with the wine it could be a little bit more if you want a bottle.

There are also budget restaurants everywhere in the old town which offer good food but some of them do not offer alcoholic drinks.

pore

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal prices

I think that three courses and a bottle of wine for CHF30-35 per head is challenging even at Manor. And the OP is asking to a proper restaurant not a cheap cafe.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal prices

I think we are all right -- My husband and I eat in our local pizzeria from time to time. We order 3 or 5 dl of wine (so not quite an entire bottle) and a carafe of water. Here in the Suisse Romande restaurants do not ask us to pay for the tap water... And our bill is generally around 60-70frs. Salad, pasta, dessert, coffee, wine, water.

With a bottle of local wine (and we all know the Valais has the best in the country!) it would be maybe 90-100frs.

A LOT depends on where the restaurant is. In Geneva or Zürich or in Crans, St Moritz or Verbier - more expensive. Small "provincial" town like ours - cheaper. For one, rents are less.. so overheads are less. And there is a year round clientèle.

Edited: 30 June 2015, 13:14
Mentioned in this post
Canton of Valais
Canton of Valais
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Verbier
Verbier
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Germany
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal prices

Unfortunately tourists use to go to touristy places, not the "provincial" towns. And replace the pasta with meat, and you're pretty soon at JT14's prices.

I found the half-board option in hotels where I stay to be a good deal. It's often just 30 CHF or so surcharge (varies, of course), and you get a 3-course, sometimes 4-course dinner (mostly with choices, including salad buffet). Tap water pitcher almost always free if you order wine also. For lunch I tend to go either with self-made sandwich (with cheese, salami or so), have a barley soup in a mountain hut or watch out for special lunch offers.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal prices

Half Board in your hotel is very good advice if you want to save money. Almost all hotels 3 star and above offer it.

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal prices

Thanks for all replies. So you wouldn't recommend buying wine by the bottle?

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal prices

If you want a bottle, you will have a wider choice. But many places will have 5-6 wines "in Offenschrank" meaning they can be purchased pro rate in multiples 100ml measures (1deci = 100ml). So you can buy exactly how much you want, top up, mix red and white etc without paying a premium.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal prices

Depends how much you want to drink and how much you prefer to have a white wine with a starter and red with a main or whatever... The system of "décis" allows total flexibility. AND allows you to taste our wines. Suppose there are two of you dining - one orders one déci of one red, the other a déci of another red. You swop glasses and try the different wines...