We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Mt Titlis from Lucerne

My family and I (4 adults and 1 child) will be going to Lucerne during the christmas period. We're following a tour group from Singapore but we have 1 afternoon free in Lucerne. I'm not sure what time the guide will release us after the city tour but we're keen on taking a trip up to Mt Titlis to experience something new.

Is it cheaper for us to follow the local tour packages that provide chartered buses to Engelberg and cable car tickets up to the mountain or will it be better if we just take the trains and buy our own cable car tickets? I've done a bit of research on the prices of both options but I would like to hear from people who have done it/locals. The problem with taking the local packages is that they usually depart Lucerne at 1230pm but I'm not sure whether we'll be able to make that timing work on our side.

Is it even advisable to take the trip up to the mountain since we only have half a day? We have no mountains in Singapore so obviously we would like to visit the mountains in Switzerland but if it is not feasible then we'll have to find an alternative.

Any help regarding Mt Titlis or alternative activities will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Hi jiaminyong

The tour buses start early as the daylight is so short in December. You can easily take the train to Engelberg from Lucerne (takes 45 minutes) and then the cable car up to the top (takes an other +/- 20 minutes) and the walk between the two (10 minutes). Know that it will be dark between 4.30 and 5 pm (if the weather is absolutely clear at Lucerne maybe somewhat later). Only go up if the sights at Mt. Titlis are clear.

If time would not allow you to do this trip why not visit the transport museum - www.verkehrshaus.ch - which is great also for families.

pore

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
348 reviews
2. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Do you really have to wait for the tour guide to "release" you? A tour guide is always optional...if you want to do something differently then go for it and catch up with your group later.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Hi pore,

thank you for you reply. Do you by any chance know how it much it costs to take the cable car up?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Hi tmynatt,

our rationale is that it's our first time in Lucerne so we would want to see what the tour guide shows us. It defeats the purpose of joining the tour package if we were to wander off by ourselves!

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
292 reviews
5. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Hi jiaminyong

You can find the information on www.sbb.ch/en (train) and on www.titlis.ch (cable cars). It depends on what you would like to do up there.

pore

6. Re: Mt Titlis from Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2017, 18:48