We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Geneva

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
One night in Geneva

Hi,

I'm taking a 10-day trip, starting in Annecy, going to Paris, then Montreux, and then flying out of Geneva on July 8, so I wanted to go to Geneva the day before my flight so I could see some of it. The hotels are outrageously expensive (there are 3 adults that need to sleep in the room) so I found affordable places near the airport. Does anyone have any experience with leaving luggage at the train station so that I can check my luggage when I get in, see Geneva, and then head out towards the hotel at the airport at night?

Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,250 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Geneva

Your itinerary doesn't sound very sensible to me - have you thought of Annecy-Geneva-Montreux-Lausanne-Paris? Or maybe the dates don't work for you?

Anyway - checking bags at the Geneva station is a bit problemmatic right now due to renovation of the station. The lockers have been moved up onto one of the platforms. It is all well signposted and the lockers are secure. No worries about that. You need cash - coins - to use them and so have a supply of 5frs and 2frs pieces on you. I have checked luggage there myself and it is easy once you find out where they are. (Of course by the time you go there they may have been moved. But the signs will show you where to go. And I am talking about an additional 3 mins walk, that's all.)

For Geneva sightseeing see this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

My son in law has stayed, often, at the Ibis at the airport. He reports it is clean, basic and cheap. Maybe take a look at that? It is very near the main terminal.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Geneva

Thank you so much for your reply, that helps a lot. The reason we're doing this plan is my brother is currently studying abroad in Annecy, so my mother and I are flying into Geneva, going straight to Annecy for 2 days until he finishes school, then we're taking the train to paris because that's where he really wants to go, then heading Montreux/Lake Geneva for a few days, and then going to Geneva for the last day before we fly home. I agree, not as ideal, but trying to make the most of the 10 days we have.

We're going to have 3 decent size bags most likely, not huge ones but mid-size ones that are too big to carry-on planes. Will those fit? We thought checking the luggage at the train station that we get into when we come from Montreux would be the best plan, so we could stay downtown, do some sightseeing, and then once done, get the luggage and take the train to the airport, then the shuttle to the hotel. I'll check out the hotel you recommended, having 3 adults is making things difficult but I'm sure it'll work out.

Thanks again for your help

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,250 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Geneva

You may need two lockers. And the lockers are quite "busy" at the Geneva main station (Cornavin). If all are full then simply take the bags to the luggage office and check them there. Lockers will be cheaper though.

Now I understand your schedule and see you have no choice!! I am sure you will have a wonderful time... Annecy is very pretty and very historic.

4. Re: One night in Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 16:48