We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See Nyon en route to Sion

herefordshire
Level Contributor
178 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
See Nyon en route to Sion

Hello -Can anyone advise-we will get the train from geneva to Sion after spending 2 nights in Geneva.Can we get off the train on route to wander around where Richard Burton is buried & Nyon and then get back on to continue to Sion or are we better advised to get a boat trip while in Geneva and can we do the same then, possibly calling in yvoire after Nyon.I can't quite understand the boat timetables.

Chamonix and Mont Blanc
650 reviews
from US$ 105.30*
Independent Chamonix and Mont Blanc...
134 reviews
from US$ 72.30*
Geneva City Tour
171 reviews
from US$ 51.10*
Private Tour: Mont Blanc and Chamonix...
2 reviews
from US$ 370.96*
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See Nyon en route to Sion

Two questions here.

1/ Stops

You can stop anywhere on your way provided you make the journey during the validity of the ticket. Ideally just mention it to the train controller but this is not compulsory.

2/ Train or boat.

Well it is a question of timing. Geneva-Lausanne by train takes 35 minutes and by boat, 3 hours... Schedules are on http://www.cgn.ch/eng although I reckon it takes time to read them... I suggest to take the pdf version. Then select your departure point. Not all the boats are going to all the places. If there is an arrival time indicated, then the boat go there. Otherwise it doesn't... If there is a vertical line, then it pass by but don't stop.

If you want to do the largest possible part of your journey by boat, then select St Gingolph as arrival port. And from there you can take the train to Sion.

Feel free to ask if you have any doubt.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,243 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See Nyon en route to Sion

Hi dragonhead,

I don't know if you know exactly where Burton is buried, but he's not actually in Nyon. He's in a nearby village, but it's too far to walk.

Yes, I agree that a ferry ride on the lake enroute will take too long; it would be better to take that trip as a day-trip while staying in Geneva. I would go to Yvoire, as you noted, or maybe to Morges.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,213 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See Nyon en route to Sion

Richard Burton is buried in the very small cemetery in Céligny. You would need to take the local train from Nyon, but please check the schedule because a lot of the stops on this line have been eliminated and maybe it doesn't stop there anymore.

From the Céligny station it is quite a walk - over a kilometre at least - to the cemetery which is more or less in the centre of the village. It is clearly indicated.

4. Re: See Nyon en route to Sion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 09:47