We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Geneva

Stockholm, Sweden
12 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Geneva

Hi,

I am planning to buy some Swiss wine, cheese and/or chocolates for family and friends back home. Where in Geneva can I find good but affordable fare? Would it be cheaper to simply buy these from the duty free stores at the airport?

Also, where can I buy small souvenirs for cheap here? I read a couple of posts about a market in Plainpalais. Any other recommendations?

Manor
Shopping Malls
Centre Commercial de Balexert
Department Stores, Shopping Malls
MB&F M.A.D.Gallery
Art Galleries, Speciality Museums
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,171 posts
1,818 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Geneva

You can look at the downstairs food counter at the department store such as Globus at Rue de Marche. It may not be cheap but you may find special offers and they have things you can taste.

More cheaper options would be supermarkets such as Coop, Migros.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Geneva

Remember you can't cary wine as carry on hand luggage so it needs to be well protected from breakage in hold bags.

There are a few other shops around Globus and it's also worth looking in Manor, which is close by Cornavin main train station and has souvenirs and a supermarket section in the basement. Also there is a small parade of shops in the underpass by the station/bus interchange a few of which do general souvenirs. Generally the stuff round the station is cheaper, but there are some really nice things around Globus and Rue du Rhone (it all depends on budget).

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Geneva

For affordable (but still very tasty) cheese and chocolate Migros is an option.

Not for wine though, as Migros doesn 't sell alcohol.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,613 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Geneva

Globus at Rue du Rhône is indeed an excellent store. Staff is helpful and there are some tastings of wine, cheese and olive oil. The selection is very good as well.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Geneva

Affordable? Not quite... Given the current level of the Swiss Franc, you might have a shock...

Yes, Globus is a good option. For real Swiss chocolate, I invite you to try a real "chocolatier". My favourite is Rohr (http://www.rohr.ch/) and they have a number of outlets, one of them being in front of Globus (http://www.rohr.ch/en/shops/le-molard.html). You can also order online.

Plainpalais: not really a place where you will find any souvenir. It is rather a second-hand dealers market. The best place for souvenir is probably ... the airport...

Enjoy your stay in our beautiful city!

Stockholm, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Geneva

Thank you everyone for all your advice... I had a great time in Geneva. J'aime beaucoup votre ville :)

7. Re: Shopping in Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 21:48