We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

Hi there,

I am trying to find the best route from Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains in France this July. Any advice on whether I should take the train, bus or hire a car would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jen

Chamonix and Mont Blanc
652 reviews
from US$ 109.20*
Independent Chamonix and Mont Blanc...
136 reviews
from US$ 75.00*
Geneva City Tour
172 reviews
from US$ 53.00*
Annecy Half-Day Tour from Geneva
53 reviews
from US$ 64.00*
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

It's just over an hour by train (timetables on www.sbb.ch/en)... four or five direct trains a day, plus some others that require a change.

Probably a bit quicker by car, it's motorway all the way.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,841 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

If you were to hire a car in switzerland be sure that you return it in Switzerland or the drop charges are horrendous. OR if you want to drop it in France, then hire it on the French side of the Geneva airport. Best thing is to take the train as neuch says...

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

Thank you so much for the information, very helpful!

I don't suppose anyone knows whether buses/coaches go from Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains? And if so how I'd book a ticket? I can't seem to find info anywhere.

Many thanks once again!

Jen

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

If you look on the Swiss railways website (www.sbb.ch/en) and enter Geneva as your start point and Aix-les-Bains as your destination, you will see all available connections between the two places - bus AND train.

There don't seem to be any direct buses as far as I can see though - you have to get a bus from Geneva to Annecy, then a train from Annecy to Aix. Might as well just do the whole thing by train, unless you want to visit Annecy along the way.

I assume you just buy a ticket at the bus station in Geneva, though I don't know for sure.

I know that in the UK the trains and coaches are in competition with each other, and the bus is often a much cheaper option. It doesn't seem to work the same way over here though... buses operate routes where there is no train service, rather than competing with the trains.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 15:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

That's really helpful, thank you neuch! I'll probably go ahead and book through www.sbb.ch/en.

Cheers!

Jen

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

On this route you don't need to book anything - its all local trains. There is just no advantage in booking ahead.

7. Re: Geneva to Aix-Les-Bains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:47