We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Hi,

When I try to buy the Swiss Youth Pass from the SBB website, it says it will be delivered to me by post (charging 90 CHF extra).

There is no option to choose "Collect at Train Station"

1. Is it not possible to buy and collect when I reach Switzerland? Do I really need to book it in advance or can I just buy it at Geneva Airport when I land?

2. I am going to travel from Geneva to Montreux to Interlekan to Zermatt back to Geneva by train. Do I need to book my train travels in advance or is it easy to get seats/reservations 1 day in advance of my travel. I will be traveling during 2nd-3rd week of June (10th to 20th June).

3. Also, do I need to book Geneva to Paris and Paris to Lausanne train tickets now or can I do that at last minute also?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Geneva Airport
Geneva Airport
Le Grand Saconnex, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Hi The_Traveller2k5,

Yes,you can buy the Pass when you land in Geneva.

No need to book tickets since only very few select trains like the Glacier Express require reservations. The frequency of trains on your given routes is very good and getting a seat is normally easy.

If you are sure of your travel date and train then reserving seats for the G to P and P to L ,now itself, will get you the benefit of discounted fares - these discounts get reduced as the travel date approaches and hence last-minute reservations may deprive you of such a discount. Check out this site -

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Have fun.

arvind

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

1) You can buy it at the airport train station without additional charges. However they usually fix exchange rates at the beginning of the year. As the Swiss Franc is pretty high it might be a bit more expensive in Switzerland, prices in the different currencies should be on the website.

2) No reservation needed train trips in Switzerland, locals are not used to do it. Just jump on the next train leaving and take a free seat. During rush hours between cities trains are sometimes pretty full, worst case is that you have to stand for at least a part of the trip but you can always get in. The train in Geneva will have it's first stop at the airport so there you have seats for sure.

3) TGV trains always need reservation and it's usually much cheaper to buy it as early as possible. You can buy them here: http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Thanks arvind13 and mube.

Just one more question, I will be spending 4D3N in Interlekan. I want to go to mt. Titlis (Cable Car ride) and also to Jungfrau.

Is it optimal to stay in Interlekan and make day trips or should I stay at some other place (Engelburg/Lauterbrunnen?) and make day trips?

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

The_Traveller2k5,

Interlaken is around 3,30 hrs. one-way from Titlis and Lauterbrunnen even more - 4 hrs.

Luzern is a good base for Titlis - 1,30 hrs. from Titlis.

At the same time,Interlaken is the better base for Jungfraujoch ,around 2,15 hrs .

Since you have only 3 nights, you can think of making Interlaken as base provided you are up to a day trip of around 10 hrs. to Titlis. Alternatives to Titlis ( for shorter trips )can be suggested if you are so inclined.

arvind

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
102 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,537 Reviews
Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

I would like to ask, if I bought a swiss pass, I won't need to book a train ticket to travel from Geneve to Interlaken or any other place in Swiss ?

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Hi Tony, if you have the Swiss pass you don't need any reservation at all, just the timetable. A few "scenic" special trains need reservations and/or supplements but the regular network is yours to enjoy.

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Thanks Jon for your reply. I got another question.

So with Swiss Pass, I just can go anywhere I want either by bus, train or boat right within Switzerland without doing any purchasing of transportation tickets ?

Mentioned in this post
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

Hi Tony880828

Yes, more or less. However you will need to buy tickets, at a discount, for most mountain transport.

This map will show you the area of validity of the Swiss Pass.

swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/STS-GB-M-…

9. Re: Swiss Youth Pass for Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 23:46