We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Barranca

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
safety in Barranca

Is it paranoid is it not safe in Barrabca? My manager in the hostel and an old lady I met in the park warned me about holding tight to my camera or my handbag. This fear manifested in me so much so that I fear to go to Caral to explore the ruins.

Please confirm whether it is safe to move around.

9 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: safety in Barranca

Barranco is pretty safe once you're not going off to dark street corners in the middle of the night. Of course, as it is everywhere in the world, there will be pick-pockets and thieves around although I've never met someone that has experienced this in Barranco. Just have your wits about you and do go around flashing everything in places that dont look safe and you will be fine. When I was in Peru i went out in Barranco quite often, especially for nights out etc and never experienced any problems.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: safety in Barranca

Kaan, thank you very much for your response. May I point out that BarrancO is found in Lima close to Miraflores, but BarrancA is far away. It took me 4 hours to get to BarrancA by Moviltour. I went to BarrancO by error and found it quiet compared to Miraflores. Yes, BarrancO is quite safe, I agree. I am taking a chance to stay another night here in BarrancA because I want to see Caral.

Have a nice day.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: safety in Barranca

@1: The OP is referring to Barranca, which is the nearest town to Caral, not the Lima suburb of Barranco. It seemed a pleasant enough place when I stayed there for a night a couple of years ago. Nothing special. I stayed at a nice hotel on the main street (I think I reviewed it) and ate at its downstairs restaurant. There were plenty of locals out and about after dark, but I didn't stay out late. Staff there organised a cab the next morning to take me to Caral and wait while I visited the ruins. It cost me the equivalent of 20USD or so. I then picked up an afternoon bus to Huaraz. It all went very smoothly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: safety in Barranca

Thank you for your quick response. I am glad to hear from you. It was 2 years ago. Things could have changed. I will take precaution when venturing downtown and then to Caral. Have a great one.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: safety in Barranca

Or possibly because the friendly locals are looking out for you because you are woman and travelling solo?

Caral is fascinating, even though there's not a huge amount to see, apart from piles of mud. There was an excellent BBC documentary about it that might still be available online.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: safety in Barranca

my mistake, i assumed it was typo when i saw it was in the lima forum. Enjoy Barranca though! :)

Edited: 24 February 2018, 00:37
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
141 posts
295 reviews
7. Re: safety in Barranca

I actually live in Barranca (not Barranco). We find it a wonderful town with lots of friendly people. That said, I wouldn't wander around at night except for maybe the central plaza, typical of so many towns in South America. There are several decent restaurants along the main drag. If you stay at the Hotel Chavín (the main tourist hotel, also on the main drag), you can eat there, or there is traditional Peruvian food at the Tumi, and good Chinese/Peruvian food at La Union, both close. If you have a little time in town, take a cab to the beach, which is one of the nicest beaches between Lima and Trujillo. Caral is definitely worth the trip.

Barranca, Peru
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
8. Re: safety in Barranca

Totally untrue. Old people is usually paranoid for some cases seen or as it used to be years ago mostly in the 90's. No need to fear if you ever go out in Barranca to the touristic places.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
9. Re: safety in Barranca

Thank you, blackcatcafebar.

Yes, I concur. So far nothing happened to me in my 4 months trip to South America.

I shall make another trip again to South America, come December.

Reply to: safety in Barranca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barranca
Recent Conversations