We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel- things to do in 2 days

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Basel- things to do in 2 days

We have a couple of days after a cruise and wondered how best to take in the sights in Basel or would we be better to go to Zurich?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,708 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel- things to do in 2 days

If it were I, I would stay in Basel. Basel is the most wonderful place for tourists! First it has a very extensive and very beautiful old town. But secondly it has over 40 diffrent museums on almost all possible subjects and with two days this is an important resource!

Basel hotels will give you a "Mobility card" when you check in which entitles you to free use of all public transport in the immediate area - trams, busses and local trains.

You can find out more about the museums and other things to see and to do on the Basel tourist office site:

www.basel.com

I do not mean to "sell Zürich short" but Zürich is far more a town for shopping and business than Basel. Not nearly the number of museums, for example! But it does have its lake...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel- things to do in 2 days

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'm glad you suggested Basel as we can now shift some dates and spend more time there and will rethink the Zurich bit .

Kind Regards

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel- things to do in 2 days

I copy paste my itinerary for a stroll through the old city center:

Take the tram no 2 to Kunstmuseum (art museum). and then take your tour through Rittergasse, Chatedral's place , the almost 1000 year old Münster with Pfalz behind it (Great view on the Rhine). Continue through Augustinergasse with Augustiner fountain, then turn left to - Martinsgasse with great Barock buldings at Martins church turn left down the stairs to the Market square, visit the huge red Town Hall and (on the other side of the place) slip through Sattelgasse, Schneidergasse to a very narrow lane IMBERGÄSSLEIN up to Nadelberg, turn left walk down a few meters in Spalenberg and enter the - Gemsberg , where you find well preserved houses in different styles from all centuries, beginning in the 13th. On the upper end of Gemsberg turn right into Heuberg and walk 300 yards to a place called Lyss. There you will see in some distance the mighty Spalentor built in 1490.

Every house has it's own colourful history. Emperors and Kings stood here, a pope was crowned , the plague and wars hit the city, and an earthquake destroyed it in 1356. a.s.o.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 14:35
4. Re: Basel- things to do in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 10:15