We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit Switzerland

Kozhikode, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit Switzerland

Hi,

I'm from India, Kerala state,

would like to visit Switzerland with my wife & two kids 5&3 years old.

Which month is better?

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,008 reviews
from US$ 168.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,187 reviews
from US$ 160.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
347 reviews
from US$ 243.10*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
650 reviews
from US$ 105.10*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,703 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi there,

Well there are 2 peak seasons:

* December to March (in some higher-up places from October-November and continuing into May) for winter sports. Ski, skate, snowboard, langlauf etc.

* July-August (in relatively low regions May-early October) for summer sports and enjoyment. E.g. walking, boating on lakes, scenic train journeys (which of course can happen in winter too but short days and more monotonous white landscapes and worse weather then). Vistas from the mountaintops (with cablecars etc.) are also better in summer, more varied, more blue cloudless skies and longer days.

Depending on your preference, winter or summer sports, you can choose...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 31 December 2012, 01:21
Sharjah, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hello Saneej, welcome to the forum.

Your question can be answer by you only! If you are looking for snow, skiing, chilly weather, then go in winters (December to April generally). If you want pleasant weather, lake cruises, but no snow, choose summers/autumn (June to Mid-october generally).

Do note, even in summers, you can enjoy snow on some mountains, like Titlis & Jungfrajouch.

Have a look at the Switzerland Tourism website www.myswitzerland.com for idea on all seasons.

My personal preference is early October or Early June. Hotels are cheaper compared to peak months, less crowd everywhere, and flights are cheaper. You can avoid November altogether, as many attractions are closed, many hotels also get closed.

Kozhikode, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Thanks dear friend,

I prefer summer as the journey is with kids. snow skeing & adventurous sports are not possible. Cable cars, train, boating, walking etc only..

so as per your suggestion early June or July will be better.

Shall plan accordingly.

Thanks

Edited: 31 December 2012, 05:04
Pune
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hello Saneej,

I too am planning to go with my family (wife and 7yr old daughter). Are you planning it urself or are you doing it via some tour operator?

Thanks,

Nitin

Kozhikode, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi Nitin, happy to hear that.

I'm thinking of planning my own.

Didn't enquire any operators. Do you have any suggestions?

siliguri
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

hi,

i am from india. i would like to visit switzerland all alone, during summer of that country. what time, you suggest. if it coinsides with our summer i.e., march to may, it is all the better.

i have some relatives living there, who are suiss natioals and will be staying with them.

is obtaing visa any problem ? where do i apply. can it be done online.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi NitinDabby,

I would definitely suggest doing the trip independently - not only will you save a sizeable amount but will also be able to do it at your own pace and enjoy the sights better.

Switzerland has a very traveller-friendly transport system with seamless integration of train,bus.boat or cable-car. Frequency and connectivity is very good,journeys comfortable.

For a start take a look at this official travel site and short-list places you want to visit

myswitzerland.com

prepare a rough itinerary,check all journey durations,time-tables and fares on this site -

sbb.ch/en

Hotel bookings can be done online.

If need be,you could refer back to forum members for any fine-tuning,if required.

Have fun.

arvind

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

PS. it seems I am giving the same opinion twice ( gone through your past posts just now ).

arvind

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

I usually recommend September, but given the current weather I think I will keep quiet ;-)

Kolkata, India
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

I plan to travel with my husband sometime in the last week of April. We love adventures. Do you think Skiing would be available then?