We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Nights in Switzerland

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
6 Nights in Switzerland

My husband and I are flying into Zurich, Switzerland the second week of May and will be staying 6 nights in Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva. I don't have any accomadations booked and I am having hard time deciding on where to stay (towns). We are going to be taking the train everywhere we go. First, is it better to book train rides as you go (the day of) or to buy a swiss pass? Which one is less stressful and less expensive? Or are there other options.

Next I am looking for recommendations on what towns to visit and for how long. What we are looking for:

1. A lot of Swiss Culture

2. Not a big city, not a ton of people

3. GREAT scenary

4. Somewhere romantic

5. Small town feel but with things to do

6. Good hiking

I am thinking we might have time for two or three towns if we stay in each one a couple of nights.

Please let me know which towns we should visit and where we might want to stay. I would love to do a cabin or bed and breakfast in the mountains.

Thanks for the help!

canada
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Nights in Switzerland

The mountain village of Murren would fit your criteria except #5.

For #5, try Lucerne.

For warmth, try Locarno.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Nights in Switzerland

Hi AnnalL29

As you are entering at Zurich and leaving from Geneva, I would suggest you go first to Lucerne (one train hour from the Zurich-Airport railway station) - see www.sbb.ch/en - and do a few excursion in this area. For more information about the Lucerne area see www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum)

From there take the full Goldenpass line to Montreux - www.goldenpass.ch -. It requires a few changes due of technical issues but this is one of the most beautiful railway lines in Switzerland. For more information about the Montreux area look at www.montreux-vevey.com and the Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum).

At Montreux you are again about an hour from the Geneva-Airport railway station (from Vevey even a few minutes less).

An other option would be you spend the whole time at the Jungfrau area - www.myjungfrau.ch -.

For other oportunities see www.myswitzerland.ch

pore

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Nights in Switzerland

As you are travelling the second week of May I agree with Pore's very good suggestions. Otherwise I would second Bofoster's recommendation one of the car free villages such as Murren or Wengen, but much of the high mountain transport in Jungfrau region is closed until May 17 (off-season).

4. Re: 6 Nights in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:11