We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Switzerland in September-Where to go? Please Help

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Switzerland in September-Where to go? Please Help

Hello all,

Me and my wife (both 30 years old) are planning to go to Switzerland in September, for 4 days. We will be arriving at Geneva on a Friday night (about 10:30PM) and leaving also from Geneva on Tuesday (about 6:30PM).

As I read on the Forums, a good plane would be to go to Vevey/Montreux area and then to Murren/Lauterbrunnen area.

Is that right? Where to stay? I was thinking about renting a car but it looks like train would be a better option, right? Is it possible to go on the night we arrive in Geneva directly to those places? Well, I´m very confuse!

Please advise!

Thanks a lot

Dcrs

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,081 Reviews
from US$ 169.20*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,281 Reviews
from US$ 154.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,099 Reviews
from US$ 259.70*
Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Switzerland in September-Where to go? Please Help

Geneve to Murren is 3 1/2 to 4 hrs journey and I don't think so that you would get a train connection so late at night. You can check the schedules at www.sbb.ch

You can stay for 1 day in Geneva/Montreux and spend rest of days at Wengen/Murren/Grindelwald. I personally do not prefer Lauterbrunnen. Visit www.myjungfrau.ch for more details.

Yes travelling by train is the way to go in switzerland. Moreover Wengen & Murren are car free villages.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Switzerland in September-Where to go? Please Help

Hi,

It sounds like you've made a good start on your planning. With just four days, I would think about having just one base. If you bear in mind that on your final day you'll have to spend at least several hours packing, checking out and getting to the airport, you really only have 3 1/2 days to enjoy. Bearing in mind you arrive fairly late on the Friday, you might want your base to be somewhere around Lake Geneva, and I do think that the Vevey and Montreux end of the lake has much to offer. You can enjoy all the lakeside attractions, and easily get up into the local mountains. If you want, you could use one of your days for a day trip further afield.

It's difficult when there's a lot you want to see, but if you think of yourself as having a 3 1/2 day holiday, then having one base becomes more appealing.

3. Re: 4 days in Switzerland in September-Where to go? Please Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 10:48