We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

USA - Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

My son (27) and I are visiting Switzerland for the first time in June. We'll be arriving in Geneva on June 18 and staying through June 20.

We're looking for a city to stay in where we can visit other attactions from there easily. Do you have any recommendations that are somewhat close to Geneva, have touristy things to do/see within that city and have a Catholic Church? Also, what hotel(s) would you recommend? We like to stay near the inner city (so we can walk around in the evenings) and train stations to make our traveling experience more efficient (if possible). What attractions would you recommend we see within that city or within a train/boat ride.

Also, please note that on June 21st well be going to Venice. So depending on where we stay, could you recommend the most efficient means of travel to Venice (i.e. low cost and we'd like to arrive as early in the day if possible).

Many thanks in advance for your assistance, it's very much appreciate. I just want to make the best of this short time we have to visit Switzerland.

Best Regards,

Julio

Zurich
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

Why don't you want to stay in Geneva? The city offers plenty of entertainment and hotels. Alternatively maybe Montreux or Lausanne would be ideal. Maybe hire a car for a day or take the train to Zermatt and visit the famous Matterhorn.

You can take the modern Cisalpino Train from Geneva to Venice, leaving at 8:50 and arriving at 15:26.

USA - Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

I have no problem staying in Geneva. I just wasn't sure if that was the best place to stay and be able to get to some of the beautiful attractions Switzerland had to offer. One of my friends suggested Lucerne. Is this a good place to visit for 3 days? I was thinking I could potentially use this as our base location and take trains/boats to attractions outside of Lucerne and then take a train to Zurich and fly to Venice via FlyBaboo, Swiss, or Alitalia at a reasonable rate and still arrive in Venice as an early hour so we could get the most out of day there.

If you were recommending a city (somewhat near Geneva) to a first time visitor what would you recommend between Geneva, Lucerne Montreux or Lausanne?

The train from Geneva to Venice via the modern Cisalpino Train leaving at 8:50 and arriving at 15:26, would be a fun way to travel, but I'm afraid we souuld miss most of our day in Venice.

I truly appreciate any guidance I can get on finalizing my plans for this trip.

Kind Regards,

Julio

Zurich
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

Certrainly, Lucern is a very nice town and would be a good choice. You can take the cable car up mount Pilatus or do a daytrip to Engelberg and there with the cable car to mount Titlis which is a impressive scenery. Lucern itself is quiet famous among tourists and has a lot to offer. Best is to check their webpage or visit the tourist office.

There are many choices for you. You can spend one night in Geneva, then travel to Lucern and before you go to Venice also have a look at Zurich. An interesting area to visit is the southern part of Switzerland, Ticino, where especially Lugano is quiet attractive. It's close to the italian border and also has train connections to Venice. However, to fly from Zurich to Venice with Swiss Airlines is certainly the fastest way.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Switzerland - Where Should I Stay

Hi Julio,

Since your son is 27, Lausanne is probably a great point to stay in. It's about 40 minutes north of Geneva by train and only another 20 minutes to get to Montreux.

There are many churches in Lausanne. It's a great area to see much of the city and there are just so many buildings to check out, along with a great night life, and a few wonderful pubs and bars.

All of Lausanne is easily accessible. The train station is more in the center of the town. You only need to walk out and up the hill to get to the shops, old town and many of the churches. Take the tram (it has another name but it suddenly escapes me) down to Ouchy to see the Olympic museum. Views from Ouchy are stunning. I stayed at the hotel du lac which was wonderful.

You can stay near the train station or down near Ouchy which has great views all along the lake.

Lausanne can be a main hub for you going to Venice. I know night trains are very popular but fill up fast. Train to Venice is probably good. Just check out sbb.ch for more options.

Hope this gives you a bit more information.

Jen