We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

My husband and I are planning to spend a week vacation in Lauterbrunnen, we'd love to relax and enjoy the scenery of the Swiss Alps. Our only concern is, we don't speak and understand other languages but English. Will it be difficult for us?

I tried googling but can't find a definite answer. Thanks for your response!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,014 reviews
from US$ 175.40*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$ 162.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$ 252.70*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
652 reviews
from US$ 109.20*
10 replies to this topic
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

We spent 5 wonderful days in the region (based at Grindelwald) in Jan 2017 and there was no problem at all. English is widely spoken. You will have a wonderful time, relax and enjoy..

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

thanks emeraldDiva! that's a relief. Do you think Grindelwald is better than Lauterbrunnen? thank you so much for the insight

Edited: 23 January 2018, 01:21
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

We were limited to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald because we arrived/departed by car and wanted a hotel with parking. The advice on this forum was that either were fine, with Grindelwald getting more sunshine, and since it was winter that is where we chose. If you want car free, you could also investigate Murren or Wengen.

The network of cable cars, trains etc in the area are fantastic, so many great places to see, we were out all day every day!

Edited: 23 January 2018, 04:47
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

Thank you very much! This is a great help for first timers like us!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,841 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

Generally speaking people in the German speaking part of Switzerland speak better English than those in other areas. You will not have a problem. Just about everyone, country wide, who works in anything to do with tourism speaks at least some English. And most very good English.

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

thanks hambagahle!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

I second EmeraldDiva's suggestion to look into Wengen or Mürren as a base. Both are car-free villages perched up on shelves situated on opposite sides of Lauterbrunnen Valley. The views from both are amazing. We prefer Wengen as it is a bit larger therefore has more amenities and selection of restaurants, food stores, etc than either Mürren or Lauterbrunnen. Wengen is also a bit easier to get in/out of than Mürren so makes for a better base from which to explore the region.

After 19 trips to the region I have put together a 50 page document that includes lots of info on transportation, things to do, etc. If you would like a copy send me a private message and include your email address.

To send a PM click on my screen name (KimSanJose) then "Send Message"

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

You will find English is spoken by many Swiss as is German, French and Italian. They are quite the linguists!

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks for all the info guys! I am now looking to stay at Wengen :-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,841 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?

Actually it is far more common to have Swiss people speak English with a high degree of fluency IF you are in the German speaking area of the country. Here in Romandie far fewer people speak English and most are not at all confident in trying. Clearly English and German are related languages and this helps... The one exception is Geneva. You hear more English spoken there than French! That bothers me a lot...

Reply to: English Language in Lauterbrunnen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted