We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which book?

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which book?

Hi

We will be visiitng Assisi and want to extensively view the three great churches -- Francis, Clare, Duomo.

Which book would you recommend as a guide. It can be long or short -- but it should be detailed and well written.

And no, I dont want to hire a local guide. That never works for me, because then I see what the guide wants me to see, not what I want to see.

THANKS

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which book?

There is a book for sale in the Zubboli bookshop, main square, Piazza del Comune / on Assisi / published by them, ie, the Minerva publishing house.

Ask for the guide book THEY publish.

Exhaustive

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which book?

ps - a good guide should be able to let you know what are the most important sites to NOT miss but should also be open to hearing what YOU wish to see!

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which book?

I just bought the Cadogan guide for Umbria, which is by far the best of all the tour guides I own at this point (Frommers, Fodors, Rick Steves, Michelin and Cadogan)-lots of interesting details of the area and the towns and cities (small and large).

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which book?

Whatever the guide book, the BEST book is always the book local to each town which can be purchased on arrival.....eg, in Assisi, the book is 9. 5 E..

Travelers may think, " too many books to haul around"

My recommendation> buy the local book, use it, leave it!

(for 9 E........!)

NO generic guide book taking in an entire region will have the info the town local books do

(Local guide best source of all! :) )

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which book?

There's an excellent book - not of the throw-away variety - about the Upper and Lower Basilica of St. Francis. It's richly illustrated, and its focus is art rather than religion. I'd give the exact title, but I can't lay my hands on my copy at the moment; if it's any help, it has a blue plastic cover.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which book?

The book on the Basilica di San Francesco is called

The Basilica di San Francesco / and by Elvio Lunghi, astounding art historian who lives in Assisi are and teaches art history at U. of Perugia.

A good book on Assisi>

Assisi: Art and History.

But Elvio's book exhaustive on the Basilica - and is THE tome on the Basilica

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which book?

thanks -- i have purchased the Lunghi book. Who is the author of the book Assisi Art and History

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which book?

One author is Ezio Genovesi- but again, local guides sum it all up and touch on points NOT in the books, ie, fresco restoration following 1997 earthquake

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which book?

Anne -- you NEVER stop selling, do you?

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which book?

.....just so much to "sell" regarding the wonders of Umbria!

EG, the Corsa dell'Anello this weekend in Narni . festivities goind on for the past week!

Anyone interested, do Google / and do see it on YouTube...

and while at it, do the same for la Corsa dei Ceri in Gubbio on May 15th!